Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first; Hi - i'm trey. 03 1500 4.8V8 ext cab 4x4. selling and getting a 5.3 or D-max. Quit a split ehh? yeah heres why. I tow nada. Small chance I might end up towing a 2000lb pre runnner on a 2000lb trailor once in a while and of coarse i will be obligated to help the dumbasses stick in snow (why buy a 2wd S-10 w/o tow hooks in michigan?). I actually had to yank a lumina that got stuck trying to follow me through a 2ft snow wall (shortcut to leave parking lot at party)... Nothing the gasser, and the 4.8 at that, cant handle.

Why am I looking diesel? Reliability, gas milage (drive about 30k miles a year). Its pretty effin cool too. I just like the idea of never having to worry about anything whereas piston slap will end my 4.8 in about 100k and i'm 2/5ths of the way there in just one year. I dont mind a water pump here and there but i dont care to worry about engine/trans/rear ect.

I was thinking 5.3 because I REALLY enjoy going to the sand dunes and weight is key..

Now heres the thing. I test drove a Crew cab D-max allison combo today. Felt very "Firm" as far as suspension goes. The engine was not what i expected. I expected to hit the gas and get thrown back off the line. maybe the tires spun, I dont know. It felt like my 4.8 if not slower. Was this because of the low redline? i'm used to hearing my truck scream to 6000rpm. maybe that was it? I have a set of 33's that i'm sure will only make it worse. I dont mind a bolt on (intake/chip?) or two but I really like reliable.

Let me know all of your opinons, please I could use every bit of help I can get. How do these things fare under daily driving and how will the allison hold up without towing but with a semi heavy foot.

Thanks a lot guys

-Trey

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Stock acceleration off the line has been a little hyped around here. What you experienced is a little turbo lag. Also the computers control power early to add durability to the trans.

The gassers are cheaper at initial purchase and quite reliable... reasonable to repair.

Diesel is 5000 more, not neccessarily more reliable and a fortune to repair.

Warranty on GM
Diesel engine 5-100,000
Gas 3-36,000

You get a large portion of your diesel option cost back on resale.

Diesel GM trucks do just fine in the sand.

Cool factor is high on the hit list.

If you are planning on performance mods.... be careful. You have a lot more to lose with the diesel if your warranty gets nixed.

Engine $12000, Trans $7000Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If you think your 4.8 is as quick or even quicker than a stock d-max your nuts. Those things are dogs.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well, gotta chime in here. A modern gasser is quicker. I have a g-tec to prove it. My bone stock '04 LLY 5,000 miles now will turn 16.5 in the 1/4, my old '98 5.7 Z71 would do 16.4 and 16.0 with only a power programmer installed. I can only assume that the new 5.3's and hemi's are even quicker. I got smoked by a v8 dakota coming home from work last night from stop light to stop light. Hell, when I first got it (used to the gasser instant power) I was almost rear ended trying to pass a rig! The duramax does have impressive power for a heavy diesel, but the lag off the line kills it in everyday driving. I am chopping at the bit for someone to release a performance mod for the LLY, hopefully to gain some off the line acceleration.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I think you might first be obligated to learn grammar and spelling, then we can work on what truck to get you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how many lbs of boost do these things run stock.

i noticed that once i heard the turbo she started to boogie. I think i'm going to go for it because its the smart thing to do financially over lifting my truck nowv(resale, gas, life)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMC2500HD said:
I think you might first be obligated to learn grammar and spelling, then we can work on what truck to get you.

Sorry,

I'm more of "math sided of the brain" kinda person

In college; 86 in comm 100 class; 90-100 in all engineering classes.

Highschool; 9x in Phys/APphys; 80 in english

710math SAT; 560 verbal

I'll use spell check at home but i'm at work now. Sorry!Edited by: treyZ28

·
Registered
68 Posts

I drive the Hemi Dodge every day for work and the DMAX on weekends for my side business (family tree farm). If you tow anything over 8,000 lbs, get the diesel, (I traded a 2500 GMC 6.0 gasser in on the D/A for towing).

The Hemi is IMHO the best small block gasser, but it gets only 14 mpg. GM's 5.3 should get a bit better (the 6.0 got the same as the Hemi).

The Hemi is very quick off the line, but the DMAX can run it down after the turbo spools up.

How many of us would buy this truck over a HD?

</v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shape></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Edited by: DEMAXALLIS

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
treyZ28 said:
GMC2500HD said:

Sorry,

I'm more of "math sided of the brain" kinda person

In college; 86 in comm 100 class; 90-100 in all engineering classes.

Highschool; 9x in Phys/APphys; 80 in english

710math SAT; 560 verbal

I'll use spell check at home but i'm at work now. Sorry!

Trey,

Don't worry about the spelling. I believe (hope) that GMC2500HD was only teasing with ya. Some guys here do that often. As for your choice of deciding on the Dmax, you will not go wrong IMHO.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The 47re trany in the cummins listed above wouldn't make it five miles.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You got smoked by the dakota? You weigh damn near twice as much as the dakota keep in mind and your 5.7 with programmer weighed 2000 pounds less, so who is quicker? When a programmer comes out for the lly its gonna be wicked.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was hoping someone with a modified Dmax would reply. I have an LLY and am waiting for the Edge to be released.... but I can tell ya from experience with my Powerstrokes that it is night and day after you do a little modifying.

Stock PS diesels have always been fun because they sounded cool and could tow anything. They weren't overly quick off the line and most gassers got the jump, like a stock dmax. But... Man install the hot chip and (almost) no gasser truck could even come close. Mods turn the mild vehicle into a 7000 lb truck that could throw you back in the seat. There is a little lag still, but hold on! When the boost kicks in...Truly unbelievable ( especially to your passengers who never drove in a newer diesel).

That is when you know you made the right choice. You'll never be the same... and you'll never consider getting gasser again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats my reasoning. No one with a diesel EVER says they want a gasser or goes back to gas. Gassers go to diesel or "wish they got one" all the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
man you guys sure are making me want one more and more... im going to test drive one after work...YAY!!
Edited by: newuser

·
Registered
199 Posts
The power of the Duramax really shines when you hook a load to her. (all my vehicles are feminine) Moving trailers in fields the low end really makes a difference. Obviously I am not interested in drag racing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm happy as hell with mine, just over 2300 miles. I'm gonna hold off on the mods other than a cat back exhaust, Mag Hytec tranny pan, Mag Hytec rear diff cover and Buckstop front bumper(I almost took out Bambis dad last friday night, had to clean the seats saturday morning, soiling issues!!!
) . My dealer is pretty leinient on the mods other than computer mods, after all I've spent $75,000 with them over the last 10 years.

Is the DURAMAX worth it? You bet yer bippy it's the best $5000 I've ever spent. I can't feel the Samurais back there and hauling is a breeze. It is a lot of firsts for me, first diesel, first auto and first 4 door. I'll never go back to gas and am in the process of switching my Samurais over to 2.2 litre Isuzu TD's. I will then be able to have fuel delivered to the house and prefiltre it before it goes into the tanks.

ROB

·
Registered
68 Posts
A diesel is definitely the way to go, everyday drivability is great.

The only problem is for those who do not need the load capacity of a 3/4 ton but want a diesel, we need more diesels from the industry. That was the reason for my earlier post of the 1500 Dodge.

With fuel prices going up everyday, I get reconfirmation at every fill up, in my area there is a 25 to 35 cent per gallon price difference.

·
Registered
511 Posts
dpower, did some checking and your correct. I never thought this new truck would be that heavy. The only way to start comparing acceleration would be to strap 2000lbs to the old 5.7 gasser and there would be no comparison!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts