Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a brand new crew cab short bed today. I think it had the LB7 in it. It has power,but I still am not totally convinced how much power . I'll get Chevy but the salesman was riding with me so I couldnt really test the power. I'll get to someday. It is truly quiet though, I could not believe how quiet it was. I didnt have the radio on and I almost couldnt hear the motor. I wish I new what they sounded likw with a straight pipe on them because that exhaust was as quiet as my Z71 was when I bought it.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Doesn't Gm still offer the 24 hour test drive? When I first drove mine I was a little bit disappointed. It was really tight the first few miles. Once I drove it a bit more it seemed to loosen up. If you have the chance take the 24 hour test drive. But be prepared to buy one if you do. Once you see it in your driveway there is no going back.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Diesel power takes a little getting used to. There's no commotion, often no downshifting, just a push in the back and away you go. My old Z71 certainly FELT and SOUNDED fast with a K&N intake, gibson headers and exhaust, and I think 0-60 it would probably give my stock DMax a run for the money....unloaded, that is, up to 60MPH or so.

But...it would quickly downshift on uphills, and it averaged 13 MPG around town, and you had to flog it to really make it move. The DMax, on the other hand, gets 16MPG plus no matter how I drive it, and is pretty responsive at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle....that's torque at work vs. horsepower.

The DMax takes 10-15K miles to break in...I wasn't overly impressed on the test drive, but every 1000 miles it got better. Mine was certainly "slower" for the first 8K miles or so. It took a while for my MPG to come up, too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They feel slower than they actually are. The turbo lag kills them. A box takes care of that though. They do however loosen up after afew thousand miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I thought my Dmax wasn't as quick as my Toyota Tundra when I first started driving it. It seemed to get more powerful as I put some miles on. Now I know it will walk away from the Tundra especially at higher speeds. I find that I'm always going faster in my Dmax than I think I am, and slower in my car than I think I am. With J/A it has some serious balls in OD. It feels like second gear when I put my foot down. Once I was passing while pulling a trailer uphill and I hit the governer at 95 mph so hard that I was stunned, and it took a few seconds to figure out what had happened. --SS

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I live to be a hundred (hope I don't), I'll never understand why someone would spend $6,000 for a diesel if what they're looking for is "performance". There's another post in here somewhere where somebody wants to buy a new Duramax to build a racer... WTF?..

Save the $6K, but a Silverado with the 5.3 gas motor in it, spend another $2-3K on the motor, trans, exhaust, etc and blow the doors off any diesel you run into.

Or spend the $6K on the diesel, put another $3-4K in it, and hope you whoop the dude in the hot rod Silverado.

Just my .02 cents.

Chris in NC

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Z71 Grizzly said:
I'll get Chevy but the salesman was riding with me so I couldnt really test the power.

BS. "Hammer Down" if you are ready to drop $40,000+ on a truck put her to the floor. Make sure it is what you want.....the power you want....the ride you want!!! It will not hurt it. If the salesman has a problem with that......go to the next dealer.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You would have to add a supercharger to the 5.3/6.0 to equal or beat the performance of a diesel with a 150hp box. I have a GMC C3 1/2-ton all wheel drive with a K&N intake, Gibson exhaust and a Hypertech. The C3 came stock with 325hp. It runs EXACTLY the same as my Duramax did with a 96hp Hypertech. And that was 15.4. Remember, a stock 5.3/6.0 runs the same as a stock Duramax, around 16.2-16.3. Diesels have come a LONG WAY!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Do yourself a favor and go to the Drag strip this summer. It might save you next time you come up to a light where a Dmax might be sitting. I've made quite a few gassers stick with racing Geos and such from now on. Super Diesel

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Super Diesel said:
I've made quite a few gassers stick with racing Geos and such from now on. Super Diesel

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you guys talking about me or the one that thinks he needs a diesel hot rod. I'm not that scatter brained when it comes to pure power of a truck.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My post was meant for NCMAX. I've owned the 5.3, 6.0, 6.0 C3, 8.1, and Duramax. We do a lot of racing around here. You can take all of the above trucks, except for the C3, and they run neck and neck through the 1/4 mile-honestly. I was just stating that it would take $4000-$6000 (installed) that you would have to add to one of these gas engines to run with a 150hp box on a Duramax. There goes the savings on buying a gas.....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank's for that Scotty, I know that is definetely a heck of alot cheaper for upgrading a Duramax than my Z71 or another gas truck.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I was talking to you about the test drive.....

Then I thought the comment about racing GEOs was funny.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Scotty Seelen said:
My post was meant for NCMAX. I've owned the 5.3, 6.0, 6.0 C3, 8.1, and Duramax. We do a lot of racing around here. You can take all of the above trucks, except for the C3, and they run neck and neck through the 1/4 mile-honestly. I was just stating that it would take $4000-$6000 (installed) that you would have to add to one of these gas engines to run with a 150hp box on a Duramax. There goes the savings on buying a gas.....

And with the Duramax, you will still get 18+ mpg and can tow half dozen of those 1/2 ton trucks at once.

If you add 110 hp to the Duramax, it should run in the mid to high 14`s in the 1/4 mile, and last well over 100,000 miles with a stock tranny.

How long will a 5.3 last at 375 rwhp?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I personally like the diesel "clatter" sound. I like the fact I can tow a 14 or 15k trailer if needed. And at the flick of a t/h button I can make a Mustang GT look silly. Try that on a gasser with only a 1000k investment in performance. PEACE

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a $600 module, and am running high 13's in my truck. Try adding $600 to a gasser and have it do that. My stock Duramax ran .2 quicker than my brother's 2000 5.3 Z71, and gets 5mpg more around town. Go back to your $1.99 gas pump.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope you guys arent talking about me when you say,Go back to your $1.99 gas pump. That's one reason why I'm getting the Dmax. Do you guys want me to start naming off the reasons why. O.k 1 fuel mileage is alot better,2 Up the performance for alot less money,3 tow alot more anytime you need,4 You can smoke people out,5 Because I've decided to move up and I'll have this truck for years since I'm paying that much for it. 6, Because it's a DURAMAX! Need any more. I'm just asking simple questions and trying to get simple answers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Z71 Grizzly -

I don't think any of the disparaging comments are intended for you! DMax owners on this forum are a pretty passionate bunch, some race, some tow, some just drive'em, but we all love our trucks. We just sometimes disagree on just how fast we should and can make these trucks go. The great news is that they can be modded for towing AND performance, what a great combination.

Fred G

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Grizzly; This is the post that got some of us posting in this thread!

If I live to be a hundred (hope I don't), I'll never understand why someone would spend $6,000 for a diesel if what they're looking for is "performance". There's another post in here somewhere where somebody wants to buy a new Duramax to build a racer... WTF?..

Save the $6K, but a Silverado with the 5.3 gas motor in it, spend another $2-3K on the motor, trans, exhaust, etc and blow the doors off any diesel you run into.

Or spend the $6K on the diesel, put another $3-4K in it, and hope you whoop the dude in the hot rod Silverado.

Just my .02 cents.

Chris in NC

1 - 20 of 40 Posts