Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i test drove an 05 gmc p/u with the duramax in it ,it had the airaid cold air kit on it with 44,000 miles,my question is i was only able to drive it up to 55 mph being in the city limits but it did not seem to have much power even after 45mph it idled ok and shifted ok is this normal for this truck?also test drove same year f250 with the power stroke engine 30,000 miles on it, but on mashing the pedal on it the tires griped so hard i thought they were going to break loose on me!!I was really wanting the duamax to do that!!maybe that one was just sick??cause i do not like the ford body style i would rather have the gmc style..any ideas...thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds pretty normal. Before the juice on mine it wasn't very impressive.

·
Registered
265 Posts
mine was a dog also, simple 40hp predator tune made a HUGE difference!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will it be SNAPPY as my 8.1 is now?

·
Registered
735 Posts
With the predator just on the 40 hp, you won't be missin your 8.1 at all.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Once you go DIESEL you wont go back to a gasser.....Trust us.:secret:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
These trucks are dogs without a power adder. Tuners really do wake them up though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why is the stock powerstroke so much faster off the line?this would be easier if i had the dough to convert the yukon over to the duramax,the kids would be happier ,they do not like the idea of sitting next to each other again.:(

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
the 05 cat converter really clogs things up. once you remove it like you will:D it will wake up pretty good. they run really well and are made to be comfortable. remember that always.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did you drive it long enough to get everything up to temperature? The duramax (more so than my buddy's 6.0 powerstroke) is doggy when cold, IMO. During the winter, just driving in town, I can hardly get mine up to temp.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes it was up to temp. it was idling for a little before i test drove it..

·
Registered
251 Posts
will it be SNAPPY as my 8.1 is now?
No, I have an 01 8.1L for sale if you want another one......bought the duramax to save fuel!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I thought my 05 duramax was slow when I first got it, but I got a PPE Xcelerator tuner and put a 40HP tune on it and it made a HUGE difference..I mean HUGE! The programmers really make the duramax wake up and go. You can pick up a good programmer for approx.$400-600.00. I've only had my truck for a little over 2 months, but I love it! The only think I don't like are the brand new, dinky P245/75/R16:banghead: tires that came with the truck from the dealer. Get the DURAMAX, you will be happy!:grd:

·
Registered
430 Posts
IMHO the LLY Dmax gives up performance for emmisions. Like most above have said a 40 hp increase does wonders.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes it was up to temp. it was idling for a little before i test drove it..
Doesn't mean it was warmed up. When its cold out my truck can idle for 15 minutes and not be warmed up. Additionally, if the truck just idled, its possible the engine was warm but the trans temp would still have been cold and would make her sluggish.

When its cold out my ally doesn't even kick into high gear lockup until I get at least 5 miles down the road.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'am pretty much sold on the duamax,however the price of this 05 used truck is still 11,000 more then what i paid for my 03 yuknxl 3/4 ton 4x4 a couple years ago,and the kids would be back to bickering with each other stacked nexted to each other:(sure would be nice to get both the 8.1 is such a blast to drive,its like driving a sports car with the whole family with!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'am pretty much sold on the duamax,however the price of this 05 used truck is still 11,000 more then what i paid for my 03 yuknxl 3/4 ton 4x4 a couple years ago,and the kids would be back to bickering with each other stacked nexted to each other:(sure would be nice to get both the 8.1 is such a blast to drive,its like driving a sports car with the whole family with!!!
a mild 65hp tune on the Duramax and you will forget all about the 8.1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts