Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove the D/A today (2WD), and I will say that it was fun. Very pleased with ride quality, BUT, from the way people were talking about it, powerwise, I did not get the thrill I expected. Could not spin tires, had a hard time competing with a 1500 on an on-ramp, etc. It was a nice ride, but...

It was a car off the lot, don't even know if it was LLY, sorry.

Checked out the 2WD vs 4WD suspension. Comparing them, I could see NO difference, both 5 leaf springs over a 1"-2" stock block. Can I assume they ride the same?

Please feel free to comment on this, especially performance. What am I missing?

Michael

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have new 2wd, I believe ride is a LITTLE better than 4wd just because of less unsprung weight. Probably real close. I just went with 2wd because truck will never see the woods, and saved a few bucks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
was the engine warm or cold that makes a difference. did the 1500 have a 345 hp engine in it, that makes a difference to. though a duramax with a box on it will easily out run the 1500.

john

02 3500 cc lb 4x4 lt

38' prowler quad slides 14100lb's loaded

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
My new LLY is nothing spectacular from 0-20mph. But it actually accelerates harder from 20-60mph than off the line. Rumor is that the LLY "defuels" first gear.

Seriously, a 6500lb truck with 310HP isn't going to strike fear into Viper driver's hearts while stock, (even though they get the same fuel mileage). The truck actually surprised me how quick it gets up to 60 for such a large object.

I've driven the Ford 6.0 Diesel and the GMC Duramax. Obviously I found the GM to be a superior product for my needs. Which is odd, as I'm a "Ford Truck" guy. Seat of the pants indicates they make similiar power. I liked the ride, the comfort and the features of the GM more. The Ford was a good truck also, and had some advantages, but the winner was GMC.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PERSPECTIVE, yes. I do recall thinking, "it must be that I am 6 ft in the air with a smooooth powetrain, that is why this seems like mediocre". I need to put the boat behind it and remember the Expeditions's 4.6 dragging it at 30-40 mph up I-17's 7% grade. I remember looking to the left lane quite a bit, thinking, that's nice....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts