Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My tension pulley bearing is starting to squeal. The auto parts store replacement is at least a 1/4" thinner and the belt has one rib not on the pulley. Apparently the pulley on my truck is the original from factory. Anyone here run into this issue replacing the tensioner pulley. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
15,700 Posts
My tension pulley bearing is starting to squeal. The auto parts store replacement is at least a 1/4" thinner and the belt has one rib not on the pulley. Apparently the pulley on my truck is the original from factory. Anyone here run into this issue replacing the tensioner pulley. Any help would be appreciated.
When I replaced mine 6 years ago I just ordered one from Rock Auto, Installed it and have had zero issues.

You can also press out the bearing and reinstall a new bearing in the tensioner if you are handy enough

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked rock auto they gave several. Do you happen to remember the part number.

·
Administrator
15,700 Posts

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts
The original is the best one.
I recommend swapping out the berring.
It is fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I recommend swapping out the berring.
It is fairly easy to do.
Replacing the bearing is not a bad job at all. Shop around for a good US made bearing.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You bought the entire tensioner. I’m only looking for the pulley. So far all I’ve seen a lot thinner than mine.

·
Administrator
15,700 Posts
You bought the entire tensioner. I’m only looking for the pulley. So far all I’ve seen a lot thinner than mine.
If you want just the pulley then you can use ACDELCO 1520676

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want just the pulley then you can use ACDELCO 1520676
I'm going to post pictures of the difference in size with my original pulley and the ACDelco that i purchased also a picture of the purchased pulley with the belt installed. The serpentine belt rides on the outer edge of the new pulley.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recommend replacing the tensioner and pulley. The tensioners go bad and they can cause a lot of damage when they do. My tensioner broke the pulley off of my AC compressor before I replaced it with a gates tensioner. Works great now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recommend replacing the tensioner and pulley. The tensioners go bad and they can cause a lot of damage when they do. My tensioner broke the pulley off of my AC compressor before I replaced it with a gates tensioner. Works great now.
:agreed: Some consider the tensioner a routine maintenance item, kinda like glow plugs and injectors.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recommend swapping out the bearing.
It is fairly easy to do.
serpentine belt Tensioner Pulley bearing: Timken bearing 6203-2RS-C3 Amazon $11.95 installing this weekend.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Pull the pulley off the old tensioner. Replace the bearing. Install old pulley on new tensioner. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pressed out old bearing installed new bearing. Timken 6203-2RS-C3. Runs great no noise from tensioner pulley. 👍

1 - 14 of 14 Posts