Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of a 2000 F250, manual transmission with 70K miles. Twice I have experienced a lack of power and both times, it was the same situation. I drive about 10 miles into town to get breakfast. I turn the engine off while ordering so they can hear me over the motor. I start the engine and head home. The motor idles fine, but it is like I have my trailer hooked up until the rpm hits about 1800 and then it accelerates normally. Going 60 mph in 5th gear up a modest hill, the vehicle cannot accelerate with the pedal floored. I let it sit for 15 minutes and went around the block and the power is back. ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like fuel delivery. Be sure to change the fuel filter regularly. I also recommend a high flow air filter. Any unusual readings on guages?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I change the fuel filter every 15000 miles. It probably only has about 5,000 on it now. I always inspect the filter and have never seen a thing. I periodically drain the filter into a glass jar and I've never seen any water or trash. The gauges all read normal. There was probably a couple years between the 1st time it happened and today. It is running fine right now. I wonder if the turbo was not working at the lower RPM?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds to me as if you have a Turbo that is not boosting and you are now driving a PSD that is normally aspirated. An easy way to check is to remove the downstream ( of the turbo ) intake boot and look for oil in the turbo housing and boot, it most likely will have fine metallic particles in the oil, also look for any oil leaking from an exhaust joint just below the bell housing area, another indication will be an odd exhaust order.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Wastegate sticking?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have any black smoke coming out the exhaust when you have no power? Do you hear a loud hissing when you have no power? If you do you may want to try unplugging the solinoid for the backpressure valve on the turbo.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't recall seeing any smoke. There were no unusual noises and it did not affect the idle. It hasn't happened again since I reported it. If it happens again I'll try to be more observant.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have a problem with the turbo it would be a constant, not intermittent problem so for now we will assume that's ok. If you have a blown turbo hose you would also have it all the time. I would be looking at the back pressure valve on the electronic side. The valve does have o-rings that I have seen blown, but if this happens it's not something that will go away after you let it sit. You may find that this problem will happen more often after time. If that is the case I would unplug the valve and see what happens it doesn't cost you anything and is worth a try. By the way this valve is there to try to cut down emissions by keeping the engine warm. We have some buses with it and some without it and there is no difference in performance between them. Up to you if you want to replace it. There are a few other things that could cause your problem, but that would be the first I would look at. By the way you didn't mention if you got a check engine light so I assume you didn't.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts