Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a vacation to Florida with one scary event in an otherwise flawless trip (besides the 11mpg).

After using up a tank of fuel towing ~70mph through the mountains of NC/VA/WV (I-77/US-19/I-79) uneventfully, we stopped for the night in Fairmont WV. After refueling and checking in to a hotel (trailer was already re-winterized) the truck would not start when trying to move it around back to park :eek: . It would crank fine for a few seconds but never a hint of fire. Tried about 10 times. After I got out and tried again after a few minutes it fired right up like usual . No lights or messages when it failed to start.

Would this have been a security-related thing where it failed to properly read the key? I don't have my Predator yet so can't check for codes easily. Think I should let the dealer look it over?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
It could be security related.

If the security light stays ON after it does it usual security check when you turn the key ON then it will not let the truck start.

All you can do at that point is wait 10-15 minutes and try again, if it was just a bad resistance reading on the key then it should start.

Mine fealt like it was cranking but no chance of starting and then after the ten minutes it fired right up like there was never a problem.

Was yours the same ?

There was no check engine light but the Tech2 can see that there was a security code set.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting; had a similar thing happen to me the other morning. I'd driven about 5 miles on a low fuel light the night before, then parked on my driveway with a slight incline. Went out the next morning and it cranked, started, ran for about 3 seconds, then quit. I tried several times but it would not start. Very strong crank, but not even close to starting. I put 10 gals of homebrew in and it still wouldn't start after two trys. Took the other car, came home after work and same thing. I bled my filter, primed it until the pressure kept me from pushing anymore, then it started after cranking for about 10 seconds. Ran fine.... I checked for codes and got a 401 (IIRC) EGR. The EGR is unplugged, but not blocked. Running the 65 tune on the Pred. I don't know where the fuel pickup is located in the tank, front or rear or? I'm thinking I lost my fuel in the line. Wasn't even cold enough for my brew to cloud, so I don't think that was it....Runs good now!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was no light or message of any kind after the no-start. It just stopped cranking each time after about 3 seconds but had not fired up. After it stopped cranking, I would hear a click like you would with a dead battery dropping out a relay. Maybe that's an indication that I should check the battery connections but cranking was strong on each subsequent attempt. The key was also removed and reinserted several times but it wasn't until after I had gotten out and back in that it started normally.

I also never even got close to 'low fuel' on the whole trip (don't even know what that message looks like). I had just filled up and it had started fine after that and had gone about 1/4 mile to the hotel so I don't think it sucked air at any time. It was parked on a bit of a tilt but that was the same as when it started just fine after a few minutes of 'rest' (2 or 3 minutes, not 10 or 15).

Since that episode passed there has been no further hint of a problem.

Just plain wierd - but quite disconcerting when 500 miles from home, after dark in a place you've never been before and the wife in the passenger seat looking worried!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
If it stopped cranking by itself after 3 seconds then it's not the security feature.

The security feature will let you crank until you kill the batteries or the starter, but will not fire.

Checking the battery connections is a good idea and a place to start, if you find there good you can also check the cables at the starter, mine were loose from the factory.

Good Luck

DD

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
pbarth it sounds like you just ran out of fuel.

The pickup on a 36 gallon tank is more towards the front than the rear, don't know about your smaller tank.

DD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts