Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, took the gang for a drive in the mountains. Nothing major... typical wash-board and some rocks. When we were back on the highway, I tried to set the cruise control and it would not take. Tried several more times... still no dice. Seems to have 'self-repaired' once ignition was turned off, and then re-started truck. Hasn't happened again since. Obviously, terrain-related, but does anyone have any ideas???

Cheers.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
It is a fairly common problem. Seems to be related to the brake switch. I've had success with just tapping the brakes and it will set again.

Mine hasn't done it in quite a while. My 03 used to do it quite a bit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max Power, thanks for the quick reply... I will try the 'tap-the-brake' tip if/when it occurs again. Cheers.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Has happened several times,goes away when switch is turned on & off a few times..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had the experience as well. I was in the middle of a family vacation at the time and could not get it to the dealer right away. When I got it in a few days later the tech said that the problem is tied to the ABS sensors. He further claimed who could not diagonose the problem until it happened again and that I brought the truck in right away.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Had the experience as well. I was in the middle of a family vacation at the time and could not get it to the dealer right away. When I got it in a few days later the tech said that the problem is tied to the ABS sensors. He further claimed who could not diagonose the problem until it happened again and that I brought the truck in right away.
Not sure about your "05", but with my "02", I do not see any connection with ABS sensors. Might be BS.
With the "02" the only thing that would disable cruise, is the Cruise Control On/Off Switch, or the Stop Lamp Switch, or some problem like poor electrical connection, broken wire, poor ECM pin connection, or low voltage.
The Stop Lamp Switch might be the most likely cause. With my "02", at the Stop Lamp Switch, the BRN wire at , (Term D), supplies +12V through a normally closed contact in switch to the PPL wire, (Term C), to the ECM when the brake peddle is not depressed.
How many times do you press the brake peddle? This switch cycles many times, and is either worn out, or needs adjustment. If the problem comes and goes, it could be because you cycled the brake switch when braking.
When you have a cruise control failure, with the ignition switch in Run, you should measure +12V at the PPL wire.
The Cruise Control Switch could be another likely problem.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
mine does it every once in a great while. turn truck off and restart then good to go.
Could also be the Stop Lamp Switch. Every time you turn truck off or on, you depress the brake to shift transmission, which cycles the Stop Lamp Switch. These normally closed contacts, (when brake is not depressed), may need adjustment or are wearing out.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It is a fairly common problem. Seems to be related to the brake switch. I've had success with just tapping the brakes and it will set again.

Mine hasn't done it in quite a while. My 03 used to do it quite a bit.
My '03 does it occasionally as well; seemed to be a random problem. Will try the brake tapping next time. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
My 05 has done it a couple of times. Usually after tapping the brakes then hitting the resume button, nada. So I figured it was the brake switch. So, I tapped harder on the brakes a few times, then Set it again, no problems.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, judging by the number of folks who've said this has happened to them... good to know that it is not some little 'electrical gremlin' with my truck. Thanks again for the tip(s)... Cheers.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
There is a gremlin in the system somewhere. Lot of this stuff is controlled thru some type of circuit board. I've seen hairline cracks in the printed part the will make enough contact to work most of the time but upon occasion separate enough to break circuit and not function. If the cruise doesn't work all the time 100 per cent a problem is there somewhere.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree there is probably a problem there not known to GM, Mine did it on interstate the other day, cruise would set then stop working a few seconds later, did it a number of times, eventually it started working correctly again. Not a problem since. been weeks.

2004.5 gmc HD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts