Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have my winter cover on, the outside temp shown in the rearview mirror is very inaccurate, even when moving along at highway speeds. Anyone else experience this? Outside temps were in the 20's, the temp showed 40+ in the mirror.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
GSXRTURBO1, the outside temperature probe is mounted inside the grill on the driver's side. When you have the winter cover on, it is covered and trapped in a warm air pocket between the cover and the radiator. To get a more accurate reading, you need to relocate the probe to an unsheltered spot. I moved mine to a pre-existing hole in the black plastic skirt between the headlight and daytime driving light, which puts the probe into exposed air flow in the gap between the lights and the grill with or without the cover and also further away from the radiator.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Not a problem. The probe has some black armored cable to it and snaps into a small bracket that's mounted on the center grill support frame. You can see it looking into the grill, but you'll have to pop off the grill to get to it. I unsnapped the probe and removed the bracket and screw. The hole on my 2001 was already in the black plastic skirt on the inside (grill side) of the space between the light assemblies. There was enough wire after snipping one wire-tie to just move it over and snap it right into that hole that was perfectly sized from the inside. Took all of about 15 minutes. Your results may vary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts