Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 LBZ with 187k miles

Hey everyone. I’ve had an intermittent P0128 code for the last couple months. Sometimes it’s on, sometimes it’s not. Hooked up my obd2 scan tool and my truck will not get warmer than 160 at idle. I couldn’t even get it past 170 today. Ambient air temp is 62. Proper thermostat operation would read 181 at idle correct regardless of air temp once it had time to warm up? And just to be clear this doesn’t have anything to do with the coolant temp sensor or else I’d be throwing a different code correct? And last question would be when replacing what is recommended the 185 or 180 degree thermostat? I live on the west coast of CA so I’m guessing 180. But just want to see what you guys are running.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Yes! Weak spring, won't close. just replace my dad's. It would only get up to about a buck 60 if I gave it hell it would get up to a buck 70, but as soon as I let off the gas it would cool back down. Different truck though, so my value won't help you. And don't forget that there are two of them...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
Had the same issue. No codes though. Replaced T-stats. Fixed issue.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
2006 LBZ with 187k miles

And last question would be when replacing what is recommended the 185 or 180 degree thermostat? I live on the west coast of CA so I’m guessing 180. But just want to see what you guys are running.
Let me know if you can't read it. Don't play the thermostat game. Nobody in mechanic School ever said to change your thermostat based on the temperature of where you live. The thermostat is based on the temperature the engine needs to perform optimally. If you live in a colder environment, it will stay closed longer until it gets to an optimal temperature. If you live in a warmer environment, it will open sooner to get you to the optimal temperature.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts