Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done the search thing on this issue for about a week now and am still confused about what exactly to do. I am installing a Prodigy in my truck and have also purchased the GM brake harness 3015-P to go with it. I understand that this needs to be plugged into the under dash "convienence centre", top row, second from the left slot. The other end simply plugs into the Prodigy. Where I am confused is the use of a fuse or auto-reset circuit breaker. Tekonsha's instructions show what appears to be an in-line auto-reset circuit breaker. How is this different from the guys that are just putting a 40 amp fuse in stud #1 and a 30 amp fuse in stud #2 in their underhood fuse box? There still seems to be a lot of confusion in the other threads I searched about whether or not these fuses need to be used or not? I.E. dual batteries/wanting to charge trailer batteries while in tow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, top row second from left is correct.

You have a Dmax and have dual batteries but they act as one for the purpose of starting the Dmax and operating the vehicle's devices. References to dual batteries are intended for gas engines that normally have 1 battery but have an extra battery installed, usually for an auxiliary device such as a pickup-bed camper or winch. They are usually connected in such a way that the vehicle starting battery cannot be depleted by the auxiliary device. If you dont have 3 batteries, you can ignore the references to 'dual batteries'.

The Tekonsha instructions probably have to be a bit generic, and all they are saying is 'protect your trailer circuits with fuses or circuit breakers'. Having the 40 amp and 30 amp fuses at Studs 1 and 2 accomplishes this and allows powering the trailer interior, running a 3-way fridge on 12v, charging trailer batteries, energizing trailer brakes, etc while towing.

You will probably find the fuses for the trailer external lighting are already installed. The trailer left and right stop/turn fuses are in the left dash fusebox. Trailer running light fuse and trailer backup light fuse are under the hood.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts