Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossing this idea around. Teflon coated or satin black stock HD aluminum wheels with some 285, 305 or 315's. Maybe keep the chrome centers. Is teflon even available in a spray? What surface prep, scuff the clear off or what? I live near a company that powder coats for Orange County Choppers, but I'm betting thier price would be near the cost of new rims. I've NEVER seen this on factory rims. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i did my stock steelies but i think the teflon coating or black chrome powercoating would look sick on the alum wheels.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I've been tossing this idea around. Teflon coated or satin black stock HD aluminum wheels with some 285, 305 or 315's. Maybe keep the chrome centers. Is teflon even available in a spray? What surface prep, scuff the clear off or what? I live near a company that powder coats for Orange County Choppers, but I'm betting thier price would be near the cost of new rims. I've NEVER seen this on factory rims. Anyone?
I will be doing satin black PYO's on my truck as soon as we get our new lathe. I'm going to machiene them to accept a push-through centercap, and add chrome lug nuts. then pant them either gloss or satin black, i'm undecided on that. I'll get some pics up as soon as I get them done. should be in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's on your rims, semi, flat, or teflon. Did you prep and rattlecan or use a paint gun?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be doing satin black PYO's on my truck as soon as we get our new lathe. I'm going to machiene them to accept a push-through centercap, and add chrome lug nuts. then pant them either gloss or satin black, i'm undecided on that. I'll get some pics up as soon as I get them done. should be in the next few weeks.
Mike, what are PYO's? I like the chrome lug look too. And please send the pics when you're done!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
if you see lots of road salt, i'd definately go with powdercoat. its pretty tough stuff. Mine won't see much road salt, so i'm going to go with prep and paint.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I dont think I would sand blast alum. wheels. Try soda blasting them instead. IMO it would be safer

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking for more info on prep and paint. Anyone else done this?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'm just going to use something like a scotch-brite pad, steel wool or the like to prep the factory epoxy clearcoat. Then I'll have my painter friend spray some paint. Havent decided on the type of paint yet, epoxy-based or enamel...I'll talk to him and see what he thinks.

However, if the wheels are going to see any winter time conditions, Ie. lots of moisture, road salt and gravel, I'd go for the powdercoat option. The powdercoater should be able to prep the wheels for you in this case.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
We finally got our lathe, so I'm working on mine. I am cutting mine to accept a standard push through centercap, and going to use chrome lug-nuts. I have one wheel done, I'll try to get some pics up for ya.

·
Registered
706 Posts
good topic! dropped my rims off to get powder coated today. but now when i get them back i want to put 285 bfg all terrains on . will those rub? i have torsion bars cranked just for 265 not to rub, but those have after market moto metals on them size 16. i was told that 285 will not rub on factory rims. anyone have a gmc with 285 on it with stock rims that can assure me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
We finally got our lathe, so I'm working on mine. I am cutting mine to accept a standard push through centercap, and going to use chrome lug-nuts. I have one wheel done, I'll try to get some pics up for ya.
Any thoughts on the the GM rims are hub-centric and now you are centering them on the lugs. Many have this problem with wheel adapters.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Any thoughts on the the GM rims are hub-centric and now you are centering them on the lugs. Many have this problem with wheel adapters.
If you run after-market wheels on your chevy, you're running lug-centric. Every after-market wheel I've seen on a GM is lug-centric, so I'm not too worried about it.

Side note: I am getting my wheels mounted in the morning, so a thread with pics is coming soon. I have to have our local tire shop do it, cause our tire mounting machiene is old, and lacks discipline...so to speak. I don't want to scratch the poo outa my freshly prepared wheels. Anyways, I'll link to my new thread here when I get the pics up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts