Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can i get a Tech 2 scanner? Also how much should i have to pay for it? I want to be able to reset trans taps, read codes, change tire size calibration etc.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Tech 2 Purchase

iowa lly;1576499; said:
where can i get a tech 2 scanner? also how much should i have to pay for it? i want to be able to reset trans taps, read codes, change tire size calibration etc.
used : e-bay will be your best option ............. new : a gm dealer near you ........ or, advertise on here in the marketplace, as a wanted to buy item .... good luck ! aaron :)
P.S. YOU WONT BE ABLE TO ADJUST FOR TIRE SIZE WITH A TECH 2 !

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
IOWA LLY;1576499; said:
Where can i get a Tech 2 scanner? Also how much should i have to pay for it? I want to be able to reset trans taps, read codes, change tire size calibration etc.
EFI Live will do all that you mention for a LOT less. There's a few things that the Tech 2 can do that EFI Live cannot and there's a LOT of things that EFI Live can do that the Tech 2 cannot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Kennedy;1581049; said:
EFI Live will do all that you mention for a LOT less. There's a few things that the Tech 2 can do that EFI Live cannot and there's a LOT of things that EFI Live can do that the Tech 2 cannot.
Is there a chart that compares these 2 side-by-side to actually show what each will do and not do?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
tech 2 is about 2,500 bucks.

EFILive is 700 I think?

E

·
0 Posts
Major difference between EFILive and Tech II is the modules that are supported. Both support reading and clearing of codes on all modules, however modifiable parameters are different. EFILive only supports ECM/TCM changes, whereas Tech II supports additional functions like ABS and BCM modules.

EFILive is a cost effective choice if what your looking for is ECM and TCM changes as well as code clearing. The features that both have are comparible.

We don't have a side by side comparison, but if you explain what it is you want to achieve, we can figure out what the best solution for you is.

Cheers
Cindy

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Cindy. I'm trying to find a product that can actually be used for troubleshooting. I have the Snap On 2500 but haven't purchased the updated modules yet (whew they're expensive). But before I do I'm still checking other products.

As many don't seem to realize, reading & clearing codes is only a small part of troubleshooting. Actually, there's really not much "troubleshooting" with that. A sensor returning a signal outside of the proper range doesn't mean the sensor is bad, one has to go find out *why* the sensor is responding with the output it is. And without additional features such as live readings of all sensors & PCM inputs/outputs, ability to turn things on and off, and a database of valid input/output ranges for that application, a logged trouble code is only mildly helpful.

As I check into this more, I may be coming to the realization that a set up specifically for troubleshooting, Tech II, Snap On, don't know any others..., can't be replaced very effectively with a "tuner" focused product. That's not to say it won't be more helpful that just a code reader, but...

I was really hoping one of the "pros" who visit here might respond with their experiences of the different focus for the various offerings to help reveal if such is correct.

These products cost a lot of money and buying one that falls short of expectations would be pretty bad.

Andy

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
I have both a Tech2 and EFILive and use them both.

There are things that a Tech2 can do that EFILive cannot, but 9 out of 10 times I reach for the EFILive instead.

My tech2 cost over $4000 with all the options. EFILive is at the MOST $750 with all the bells and whistles, and it allows you to custom tune the engine which a Tech2 cannot do. If you do not need the programming feature, it is much less than $750, and can upgraded later in necessary. The programming option on the Tech2 (not custom, just OEM reflashing) is $1200 a year.

EFILive is not a "tuner". It has a datalogging module and a reprogramming module. While it reads and resets codes, it is vastly different from a code reader. You can get more engine info in a shorter time with EFILive than a Tech2.

As was pointed out above, the Tech2 is necessary to read data for the other modules such as the ABS. But you cannot recalibrate the speedo with a Tech2 either.

You will find the Tech2 will "fall short" in some areas, and EFILive will "fall short" in others.

Your best bet is to find someone in your area with both and actually see them in operation. This will explain alot better than I can why they are wildly different, yet do much of the same stuff.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
BTW, you can download the EFILive software for free and see what it does. Go to EFILive.com and load it on your computer. Launch the SCAN module, and look through the available PID's. It supports more engine parameters than a Tech2 does.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Efi?

I have atech2, also a snapon scanner, and the OTC Genisys.
out of the three I prefer the otc, nice big color screen, lots of info, numerous ways to display it. but it does no reprogramming or flash. the tech2 only does factory reflash as far as I know. no custom tuning.
I would love to be able to use the efilive, but after looking over the website I see no support for the 6.5L engines. maybe I missed it.
With all the support for all those gassers, and durabux would it be that hard to support the 6.5L? seeing as there are thousands and thousands of themout there, and more people are turning them up nowadays it seems than everybefore.
i would love to see agood alternative for these engines, and efi seems likeit could be the one.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
blalley;1584202; said:
out of the three I prefer the otc, nice big color screen, lots of info, numerous ways to display it. but it does no reprogramming or flash. the tech2 only does factory reflash as far as I know. no custom tuning.
I would love to be able to use the efilive, but after looking over the website I see no support for the 6.5L engines. maybe I missed it.
With all the support for all those gassers, and durabux would it be that hard to support the 6.5L? seeing as there are thousands and thousands of themout there, and more people are turning them up nowadays it seems than everybefore.
i would love to see agood alternative for these engines, and efi seems likeit could be the one.

efilive supports scanning for the 6.5's, but does not support tuning. They probably will not do tuning for the 6.5 because it is not worth the HUGE R&D of cracking the ECM, finding parameters, etc... Theres just not much to gain on a 6.5 with tuning alone. The engine hard parts and design in general do not have the capacity to make much more power than stock. The duramax has many many things as far as design wise that make it possible to gain hundreds of rear wheel hp on tuning alone, and that is why EFILive has done so much with it; its such a huge market because of the gains to be had. The chips you can buy for the 6.5 gain you 40hp I think, so that basically says the "tuning only" limit for them. The cost vs. benefit of tuning support for the 6.5 is not realy feasible.:(

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
What does the Snap-on scanner do and it's price? I might have access to them at a fraction of it's retail price.

E

·
0 Posts
blalley;1584202; said:
You wouldn't beleive how hard it is to add support for additional vehicles! We do plan on supporting the 6.5's - we just don't have a definate time frame - other than it's not on the cards for the next 6 months of development.

We currently offer Scanning, code clearing and datalogging on the 6.5 on FlashScan V1 and FlashScan V2. Scan Only V1 retails for $249 and V2 $399. When a customer purchases our Scan Only version, they can upgrade to Scan and Tune when it suits them via internet upgrade. Upgrade pricing is the difference between Scan price and the Scan and tune price plus an administrative fee.

You will find our supported parameters in this link. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...63&postcount=4

Cheers
Cindy

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
For the majority of people the EFI Live is all you need. If you want to be able to reprogram things like BCM's, DDM's etc then the tech 2 is the only way to do that. Don't forget there are lots of things that efi live can do that a tech 2 can't. GM really limits the capabilities of the tech 2 so that any tom **** or harry can use it. The EFI LIve is far, far advanced in many areas.

Also if you aren't willing to pay for SI then a tech 2 is basically just a glorified scanner.

A snap-on scanner is very limited and really won't do much more for you then any average code reader. Sure it has a few advantages but not near enough for the price.

For the money EFI Live is hard to beat. EFI live is also constantly improving there package and offering more so as things progress you will have more and more capability.

I have both EFI Live and a tech 2 and I use my tech 2 probably less then once a month while I use EFI live several times a week.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What if i decide to use it to tune? will i have to buy a license? Also i own a 6.0 gasser can i tune/scan that with the same handheld? Will i have to buy additional licenses? Thanks for all the info so far, i definetly think i'll go with efi live now.:D

E

·
0 Posts
IOWA LLY;1589133; said:
What if i decide to use it to tune? will i have to buy a license? Also i own a 6.0 gasser can i tune/scan that with the same handheld? Will i have to buy additional licenses? Thanks for all the info so far, i definetly think i'll go with efi live now.:D
To tune, you'd need FlashScan Scan and Tune in either V1 or V2. V1 is $549 and V2 is $749. Or if your not interested in tuning from day one, you could purchase the Scan only, and upgrade at a later stage to Scan and Tune (Upgrade pricing is difference between Scan and Scan and Tune + $49 admin fee). The difference between Scan and Scan & Tune is the ability to flash your ECM/TCM.

FlashScan V1 comes with 2 license to tune 2 supported controllers, while FlashScan V2 comes with 2 VIN licenses and will allow you to tune 2 supported ECM's and 2 supported TCMs (the TCM and ECM don't have to be on the same vehicle) With V1 you can hold up to 25 licenses on a cable, and V2 up to 221 licenses on a cable. After you use your existing licenses, additional licenses can be purchased for $99.00. Supported vehicles list can be found http://www.efilive.com/supvehicle.aspx . It is expected that we will add additional supported vehicles in the next few weeks. (These will be more gassers)

You might like to have a look on www.holdencrazy.com at some tunes for your gasser, and download our software (in my sig).

Cheers
Cindy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts