Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly can the tech 2 do? I have a PC Based scan tool (www.obd2.com) for my Ford car and my GM truck, which reads all available sensor feedback from the computer, shows DTC's, can clear them, and even supports bidirectional control on my '97 (Chevy). Is this everything the tech 2 can do, or can it do more?

Just wondering...

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Tech-2 will do all that, and support programming, with the software. Some aftermarket units will not talk to every module or may not be able to show all the data tech-2 will, but for the average guy, and you already have the scanner.. Your set.

·
Registered
270 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
Tech-2 will do all that, and support programming, with the software. Some aftermarket units will not talk to every module or may not be able to show all the data tech-2 will, but for the average guy, and you already have the scanner.. Your set.

What is a good price and where can you purchase a Tech-2 scan tool?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Melvin Hatcher said:

If you're a DIY'er like me, for the price, you're probably better off getting the ease scan tool I have. From what I've heard, they're a major player in the OBD Diagnostics arena. Will read all the parameters from the PCM, can clear codes, and on my 97 the bidirectional control worked (could select the gear, raise the throttle, increase ERG, increase/decrease IAC, neat stuff). They now need to get the data sets for the '04s and I'll be all set.Edited by: Cougar281

·
Registered
270 Posts
Cougar281 said:
Melvin Hatcher said:

If you're a DIY'er like me, for the price, you're probably better off getting the ease scan tool I have. From what I've heard, they're a major player in the OBD Diagnostics arena. Will read all the parameters from the PCM, can clear codes, and on my 97 the bidirectional control worked (could select the gear, raise the throttle, increase ERG, increase/decrease IAC, neat stuff). They now need to get the data sets for the '04s and I'll be all set.

Who sells the ease scan tool?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get it direct from Ease (www.obd2.com) OR I got my GM Enhanced Upgrade off eBay for like $175 (I already had the hardware and the Ford Enhanced set for my car).

I just got off the phone with Ease... Only problem is they are not expecting the ability to scan 2004 trucks for quite a while ... the person I spoke to said GM's database is giving them problems...

So for at least a year, I'm going to have a useless tool...
Edited by: Cougar281

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Tech-2 will run you in the 3k range new. Not worth the money for most people.

You could get the Predator that will read data/ dtc and add power for less then 500.00

·
Registered
270 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:

You could get the Predator that will read data/ dtc and add power for less then 500.00

Thank you very much. Therefore, you are saying that I can do everything with the Predator that can be done with the Tech - 2?

Who has the best price on the Predator for the LLY?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Melvin Hatcher said:
dmaxalliTech said:

Thank you very much. Therefore, you are saying that I can do everything with the Predator that can be done with the Tech - 2?

Who has the best price on the Predator for the LLY?

Thanks.
No, and Yes. Pred will not do everything a tech-II will do, but will usually suffice the DIY. It also will not be able to read trans data and dtc's. I dont know if the LLY Pred is avail yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts