Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if it is possible to buy a Tech 2??. Would there be any advantage to own one of my own for any reason.??

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
advantage? Depends on how much extra money you have laying around. It will do about anything you want.....well, except change tire size. cost ya around 3k shipped if you really want one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Eric,

Did ya catch page 3 of the JA03 Techlink issue...??

About getting a VCI # to corect speedo for tire changes....

20-Inch Accessory Wheels and Tires

General Motors has launched its collection
of all-new 20-inch wheels, available
in forged or chrome finishes to reflect
consumers’ personal styles. The wheels
were designed with a specific tire as part
of the GM tire and wheel system.
The accessory wheels and
tires are suitable for installation
on certain 1999-2004
Chevrolet Silverado and
GMC Sierra pickups.
<FONT face="Times New

·
Registered
408 Posts
dmaxalliTech,

why do you say tech 2 will not change tire size?

i had my tire size changed with tech 2

·
Registered
78 Posts
RUMAXED,
What was the date you had your tire sized changed ?
The reason I ask is that a mechanic at the dealership where I got my truck has a 2003 like mine and yours. He got his truck at the end of 2002 and changed to 265's and at that time GM allowed the recalibration to be made. Or so he says !
Just Curious,
Billy

·
Registered
408 Posts
bsiler said:
RUMAXED,
What was the date you had your tire sized changed ?
The reason I ask is that a mechanic at the dealership where I got my truck has a 2003 like mine and yours. He got his truck at the end of 2002 and changed to 265's and at that time GM allowed the recalibration to be made. Or so he says !
Just Curious,
Billy

bsiler,

i had the tire size changed 2 times , i picked up my truck in april of last year, the first time was in october(new tires 265/75/16) of last year and it was not even a dealer who did it for me, and the last time was yesterday(had computer reflashed for new tow mirrors from tophog he had to reset tire size and this was a gmc dealer )

·
Registered
408 Posts
didn't someone in this forum sell the tech 2 ?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The Tech2 can change the tire size in the EBCM (ABS) only. The ABS uses the wheel speed sensors to determine the speed of each wheel. The PCM uses the transmission/transfer case output speed sensor for vehicle speed data. Tire size in th PCM can only be changed by custom program via a VCI# or any of the aftermarket boxes that have that capability.

·
Registered
78 Posts
RUMAXED,
Thanks
I guess it makes NO sense to try to figure why GM does the things it does !
I did find another set of rims to put my 245's on, just in case!!

Billy

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey you can shop around on ebay and pawn shops (sorry it's a florida thing) I found a good one for 300 bucks with all the software, the guy at the pawn shop had no idea how much it was worth. I said you take cash he said yes and the deal was done. I told him after he sold it how much it was worth and he was kicking himself. But anyway, look around there are some good used ones going for about 600 or so on ebay sometimes.

Lenny

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Good luck.. i watched ebay for awhile and then ponied up for a new unit...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Cool! I'll just stop by DPs place on my next trip up to WA.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
feel free to stop by...

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
if it were i would feel violated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts