Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<DIV>I talked to A tech at Racor Service today and ask him what the micron rating was for the Duramax filter, He looked it up and told me it was A 2 micron.</DIV>
<DIV>Hope this is true, I was always told it was A 5 micron.</DIV>
<DIV>This guy was very friendly and seemed helpful.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>On Edit: I also ask him about the new filter for LLY (longer) and was told the inside filter element was the same as always, just the can was longer, and they are interchangeable.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Racors Phone is 1-800-344-3286 and ask for technical assistance if you would like to talk to them.</DIV>Edited by: John R

·
Registered
338 Posts
hes probably righta 5 micron is only a good filter we use a 20 then a10 and last a 5micron for filtering a water misting system for cooling a building in the summer time with a 1000 psi pump and its considered only a good filter

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
"On Edit: I also ask him about the new filter for LLY (longer) and was told the inside filter element was the same as always, just the can was longer, and they are interchangeable."

That's funny.... I joked about that earlier... don't tell me it's true

·
Registered
994 Posts
The tech indicated the OEM was rated at 2 micron, but did he tell you the efficiency at that micron level. That is the key. I know it is not 98% efficient at 2 micron. I suspect that it is barely 50% efficient at 2 micron. Maybe approaching 98% at 7 micron (a guess). It is a two part question.

Most of the supplemental filters are approaching 98% efficiency in the 2 to 4 micron area.

Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

Unfortunately test on the efficiency of the factor Racor do not support the Racor techs claims .... In addition a Racor tech has come forward (not here) I recall reading and he said that a rating of 5 micron plus is more like it ....

Mac

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mackin said:

Unfortunately test on the efficiency of the factor Racor do not support the Racor techs claims .... In addition a Racor tech has come forward (not here) I recall reading and he said that a rating of 5 micron plus is more like it ....

Mac

I sure hope this guy is right about the micron rating of this filter.

Never even thought about absolute filtration though, I guess that is what makes the difference.

Maybe GM had them make the new filter longer so it would hold more water before turning the WIF light on! LOL

·
Registered
994 Posts
JohnR,

Even a 30 micron 98% efficient filter will filter a little bit at 2 microns. It might only catch 5% of the 2 micron particles on the first pass, where it will get 98% of the 30 micron particles on the first pass. So what do we call this filter, a 30 micron filter or a 2 micron filter?

There is usually a curve produced for each filter, on one axis is particle size and on the other is efficiency. Read the following article and maybe it will answer some of you questions:

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/engineer/95_11.html

There is one line in this document that sums it up the best "Baldwin does not recommend comparing filters based on micron ratings".

Hope this helps,

Alan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not sure why this debate goes on and on and on.....
, do enjoy reading, and it has helped me decide. Maybe I answered my own question!!! Here is my logic, and please straighten me out if not reasonable, but "cleaner is better."

I went pre-OEM. My reasoning? Well, GM says "our filter will keep you going and we warranty the truck with the filtration on it." You and I do not control the fuel quality we put into the truck. It can be anything!! By going Pre-OEM, (Nicktane-Cat) all I am doing is making what ever quality fuel I dispense into the tank better, before it sees any of the engine fuel system. How much, well, I have too much snowmobiling to do to worry too much. I do not see how it can not be argued with any logic from the dealer that Pre-OEM filtration has any negative effect on the fuel system. Evey independent write up I have seen say filter the stuff. I also felt that Post-OEM was intrusive to the factory fuel system, and there could be argument that I injected a fault.

With the Nicktane, it is so accessable, I can change a filter "on the road" in a few minutes.

So...my recommendation is to filter it with a quality system, and you have made an improvement. None of the systems are 100%. For me, I also had a hard time convincing myself that I should put a system on a $ 40+K (and climbing) truck where I would have to go out in sub-freezing, windy, wet weather and bleed the thing of air to drive it.
Repeat after me, bad idea, and stinky too!!

Well, the slops are a callin'

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
GM says "our filter will keep you going and we warranty the truck with the filtration on it."

Ahhh that is so reassuring. So much for those that keep their trucks after the warranty period is up.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Go over to the after market fuel debate post.

J.K. don't hate me. I have concerns about the liabillaty of putting a fuel system that close to the front of my truck or anyplace else it could get damaged in an accident? That is why factory stuff is mounted where it is. Behind frame rails, next to blocks ect. ect.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hoot, I agree...that is why I add filtration, but you and I know GM don't give a h..., sorry, dam about after warranty, nor does Ford, nor Dodge. Longevity is against the grain for those wanting to sell new trucks to us junkys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts