Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there had to replace the trim piece around the tailgate handle? I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I've tried twice to snap that thing on there and twice the tabs on the top snap off. I think the cheap trim pieces are defective. I think I'll take it back to dealer and tell him to put it on with out breaking it! I've put my lift on, tore the interior apart for dvd systems and had no problem. I didnt know this trim piece was rocket science!!:eek: Any ideas? Thanks

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Ouch. Thats an expensive try there....

You have to hook the little bottom "J" hooks into the tailgate lip first, then GENTLY tilt the top and let it snap in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, did that and the dealer charges $18.50 each for them. Thats what I mean it's self explainatory but it still breaks.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yes, I've removed and replaced it twice now. The first time I was installing an electric tailgate lock and broke off one of the top two tabs that lock it in. Trim to dealer and $20 later it was like new. The second time (and now I'm experienced!:) ) I removed it by pressing down extremely firmly on the top of the bezel to fully lower/clear those two underdesigned clips and pulled it free with NO DAMAGE. Yaay! However, I was removing the stock black one to replace the entire assembly with my new color matched handles and bezels. Seriously though, it's tough to reuse them unless you can replace the adhesive foam block that also tapes them to the tailgate.

More importantly, I now have a full set of all handles and associated bezels for the truck if anyone, including YOU :) , needs something. Let me know if interested and we may work something out. I'm down here in sunny Florida. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Electric tailgate lock?? Sounds like a good idea. Any pics?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
tailgate lock

Here's a link to what I have regarding the electric tailgate lock. I easily wired it in to my electric door locks and works great. The only downside I can think someone may have is that you can definitely hear it "clunk!" when locking or unlocking due to the tailgate lacking any insulation like the doors. It just bolts in with the tailgate handle and is "out of sight, out of mind".
http://www.realtruck.com/productline/645/139/1/pace_edwards_power_gate_electric_tailgate_lock.html

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks looks like a great idea. Gunna get one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts