Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After nine months of field testing with great success, I feel I have a real keeper. This gap cover has worked flawlessly and has stood up to lot's of abuse. It's nice not having things fall through the gap anymore and my dogs really appreciate it!
I found the gap covers on the market to be to wimpy to be installed on a Duramax.

The original thread here:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27713

Attachments

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Thanks for the update

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dont mean to pirate this topic but how much did that cost about if you dont mind me asking. Because that looks great!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No worries about pirating. It was my intention to share.
About $45 for the hinges, stainless hardware, 4 1/4" X 1/4 aluminum and captive cleat.

Next thing to do is fabricate a mounting bracket for the receiver hitch that's layin' in the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nice work. I think I'll pirate the idea and make one too. Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nice job, that will keep alot of crap out of the bed. The bed is not sealed very well for use with a topper. I Think I'll have to get a tailgate seal and make one of those. Very well done.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Powder coated, we'll see how it holds up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not trying to be mean or offend anyone but why? why build that? didnt stuff get caught on those hinges? And what if i slide an object in the other direction, wont the metal flap come up and stop progress?

Sorry if I sound rude I dont mean it

Matt

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Good idea.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not trying to be mean or offend anyone but why? why build that? didnt stuff get caught on those hinges? And what if i slide an object in the other direction, wont the metal flap come up and stop progress?

Sorry if I sound rude I dont mean it

Matt
No worries, the open gap was more of a problem than having to lift something 1/4 of an inch to clear the gap cover plate. Having small parts such as nuts/bolts or other hardware drop through that gap was an inconvience enough, it was when my lab jumped out of the bed and got his foot caught in the open gap (thankfully I caught him before he broke his foot) was when the idea came to fruition.
The edges are beveled so that most items slide across it pretty easily. The hinges haven't been a problem at all, even with dry concrete mix and dirt getting on them. They're mounted in the valley and don't protrude above the gap cover. They're also made of nylon with stainless steel pins.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Riverchucky: Thats a mighty fine looking dog you have. Take him hunting much? I have a 1 year old 1/2 lab 1/2 husky mix. she hunts with me but it kinda turns into a game of "Im just gonna do my own thing" lol

Ok I get the concept now, that is a good idea. One prob I have is when I sweep out my bed after hauling wood. The pieces fall in the gap and the bed wont shut! lol

Thanks for taking the time to explain :cool2:
Matt

·
Registered
142 Posts
Riverchucky: When your original thread was posted I asked about the possibility of kits, any more thought of this?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Chucky,

Strong work...I think that may be one of my next projects!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Great idea!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Riverchucky: When your original thread was posted I asked about the possibility of kits, any more thought of this?
I plan on making these, but right now pretty much focused on building a shop out back. Once that's done (early summer I hope), I'll probably make a few.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Riverchucky: Thats a mighty fine looking dog you have. Take him hunting much? I have a 1 year old 1/2 lab 1/2 husky mix. she hunts with me but it kinda turns into a game of "Im just gonna do my own thing" lol
Cody is pretty much a ball hunter. He could care less about wildlife & cats. Took him up to Desolation wilderness in the Sierras and he came out of the woods with a tennis ball.

·
Registered
734 Posts
lol misty will chase the tennis ball, pick it up, start back then get distracted, drop the ball and follow her nose...but hunting wise she stays on track.

what kind of a price are you going to sell those for?

Matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts