Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after seeing a few postings(and talking with Idle Chatter at the GTG)about the breaking of the tailgate cables, I've been considering having a better replacement made. I'm thinking of the old style slotted rail. These would be relatively easy to engineer and more than likely cheap enough to produce. I've got a few fabs that my company deals with that I could present with a layout and have made in larger quantities.

Question is, it is worthwhile enough for the time and trouble to make and find the best price, or is it just a few isolated incidents that these cables collect water, fray and break?

Obviously it's just a passing thought, I don't know what the cost would be(or even how much OEM replacements are) but I'm looking for feedback to see if there's enough interest.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other quick note, there's a slew of materials that could be used for replacement. Stainless, Zinc plated, hard chromed(not the shiny kind but for durability/rustproofing), aluminum or even delrin(an extremely tough plastic in some cases, even stronger than steel). If anyone has a preference, that would aid me in costing this project.Edited by: Victory Red

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Rick, could you make a 'cable' with the delrin? I think some nice stainless ones myself, but that will add to the cost

Eric

·
Registered
276 Posts
I probably wouldn't go for a plastic one, even if it were kevlar. I'd be concerned about the long-term reliability. Same with aluminum. Stainless would be my choice, cost permitting.

Keep us posted. Someone's gonna get seriously hurt when those cables break at the wrong time - maybe loading an atv or something.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well even the steel plates weren't totally foolproof. I remember the hinge points giving it up from time to time. I'd need to figure out a way to keep it from weakening over time, or even a better a way to replace the pivots easily.

Eric, while I've never seen delrin in 'rope' form, it is used extensively in the molding industry. it's available in all shapes and sizes, but I beleive it's also more costly than steel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know I would be intererested in a set of plates. Stainless would be my preference.

John

·
Registered
612 Posts
Looked at my 2 year old cables the other day and found cuts in the coating .... planned to replace ASAP but if you think you will have better ones available soon will hold off .... stainless also gets my vote ... Jim

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JEBar,

If you're feeling unsafe about your cables, PLEASE DO NOT WAIT FOR THESE!.

I probably will end up getting something out there, but there will be a couple week lead time getting it all together, plus a testing phase to make sure they are working properly and a better product than what GM currently offers. I wouldn't want to send out a crappy product.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd be in for a set. Stainless would be my choice.

We all know it would be Mac's choice too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Victory Red ...

Understood

Jim

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well 15 votes yes out of 138 views. There truly seems to be an interest in these. Response will probably get even better once I actually have a design in hand. Stainless also seems to be the most popular option so that's where i'll start with my fab quotes.

This will probably take a week or two to get some definitive answers, I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok who voted no?? Just curious as to why.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I didn't vote no but actually I would prefer a cable over a rail as long as the cable was stainless. But if the choice is stainless rail vs stock cable I would take the rail.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My last truck had the "rail" type, and those darn things were stronger then the tailgate itself (and DON'T ask me how I know that
)

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Dont care what it looks like as long as it will last and wont get nasty rusty. Dont care if its a cable, rope or rail, stainless, chromed, flubber. Dont matter to me. I would worry about plastic or aluminum fatiguing over time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stainless cable and stainless ends would get my vote. A good stainess plate set up would be a close second. I wouldn't think it would be too bad a price tag for some laser cut ones.

Mark

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well I'm still in development phase. The hardest point right now is finding the proper pivot point attitude(and what material to use as a pivot point). I wish I had all day to focus on this project, my bosswould scream bloody murder if he caught me doing personal stuff like this on company time(plus it just isn't right).

Anyhow with any luck near the end of the week I'll have a stainless steel prototype. I'll also try to get one of our engineers to do a stress analysis on these to see how strong these may be.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts