Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the tail lights off of an 03 Chev will work on an 03 GMC? I think I saw somewhere that they need a little modifying. I am sure someone has tried. I have a GMC and I think I like the Chevy Tail lights better.

Anyone interseted in swapping GMC tail lights for Chevy?

Part # and price by chance?

·
Registered
395 Posts
<DIV>You can put the Chev lights on a GMC or an older Chev, but you have to get the wiring harness for the new lights also. My neighbor did this to his 2002 chev. He got the lights & harness from JPCustoms.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>http://www.jpcustoms.com</DIV>

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I don't know why I didn't check there in the first place.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I swapped them on my 03 GMC and they look much better. You can see the before and after in my pics in the sig. If you get them with the harness it is a 5 min swap. Mine did not have the harness but it is very easy to make them work.

Went to AutoZone and picked up two replacement liscense plate light sockets that hold the 194 bulbs and a couple bulbs. Spent about $10 total. Removed the GMC lights and located the "lights on" hot wire and used a quick connector to splice the new socket in. Did the same for the ground wire. Now I had the 4th light. Trimmed two of the tabs off the socket and popped it in the Chevy light. The stock GMC light sockets need to me rotated slightly to fit in. I had to trim a couple of the socket openings on the lights so the tabs would fit but very minimal. Took about 10 min on the 1st and less than 5 on the second. There is no cutting wires and the install is very quick and easy. Definately make the swap!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I like the safety of the amber turn lites, it seems to draw more attention then the flashing red lite at nite when the running lites are on.

When driving semis for years I saw a lot of difference between the amber turns and the red turns on the trailers and how much faster they are noticed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would be interested in swapping my Chevy lights for GMC lights if anyone is interested within reasonable distance.....

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd sure be interested. Mine look like new and are 6 months old. The problem is we are a long way apart and probably neither of us want to do without during shipping

·
Registered
511 Posts
Max Power said:
I'd sure be interested. Mine look like new and are 6 months old. The problem is we are a long way apart and probably neither of us want to do without during shipping

Exactly. And the shipping fee to boot

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you're swapping chev to gmc and visa versa are the harnesses from the tailights down to the connection box interchangable- in other words do they both plug in on the block under the box in the same locations and everything works as it should? I know the harnesses themselves are different due to the side marker lamps on the chev lights.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Dmax Tim said:
I like the safety of the amber turn lites, it seems to draw more attention then the flashing red lite at nite when the running lites are on.

When driving semis for years I saw a lot of difference between the amber turns and the red turns on the trailers and how much faster they are noticed.
I agree.

The new Chevy tail lights are terrible as far as visibility to other drivers goes. Yeah they look cool, but when the brakes are on and the blinker is flashing, it's very difficult for following drivers to see in certain situations.

My brother has a 2003 Chevy & he is looking into switching to the amber signals.

Not bashing the lights, but I do notice a safety issue whenever I follow my brother in the dark.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I see the pics but still haven't heard an answer to the question. Anyone done this?

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=smText vAlign=top width="20%" bgColor=#fefefc>
Diesel Fanatic

Group: Diesel Fanatic
<TD class=text vAlign=top background="" bgColor=#fefefc>If you're swapping chev to gmc and visa versa are the harnesses from the taillights down to the connection box interchangable- in other words do they both plug in on the block under the box in the same locations and everything works as it should? I know the harnesses themselves are different due to the side marker lamps on the chev lights.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
349 Posts
<font size="3">YES</font>

Mine plugged in directly. No splicing, no extra pigs, just unplugging and pluggin back in. Mine came with the tails. When poeple first did this, one or two folks made posts about their Chev lights did not come with tails attached. Not sure why. Mine did.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks txdoc- I want to swap mine to the chevy ones that a friend has on a work truck and vicy versa. Now we know it's worth the effort to unclip the harnesses and swap.

·
Registered
362 Posts
03 GMC truck.....03 Chevy Tails

1 - 17 of 17 Posts