Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday morning as I left for work I noticed my tail lights were flickering a little bit. and as I left for work this morning(4:30) I noticed that they werent on at all. so I tested the hazards and brakes. they both worked fine. So im under the impression i have a bad ground somewhere. my question is, Where on the truck should i check first for this ground? I pulled the lights off and looked inside and everything seemed ok. i wiggled every wire i could under the dash, and again they didnt even think of turning on.(i checked under the dash becouse i have had a remote start installed a month ago) but im stumped on what to do next. I have cash for a repair or register the bike.(and its gonna hit 50 deg saterday. Would like to beat on the bike for the day) does anyone know how i could fix this issue? I have to drive 100 miles in the dark every day, and 1 more ticket and im done for a while(caught to many times doing wheelies).:help:

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
You have a trailer plug at the back? I just replace my harness back there, it was broke up pretty good from road debris.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I have like three plugs under there. 1 round plug And 1 female 3 prong, and a 4 wires capped off-ziptied up to the bumper. I also shook them for a second, No lights came on. I thought it might have been one of those, But iafter thought, I didnt think they would kill the running lights. Should I give more of an extencive look into there? It has been snowing 1 day and 50 degrees the next. lots of salt on the roads here in mass.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had an 89 2500 that had issues with the reverse lights not wanting to work at times. When I opened up the casing to change out the bulbs, I notices that the copper connections to the light bulb recepticle were badly corroded. After some cleaning and making sure the contacts were actually contacting, I didn't have any more issues. The gasket around the light housing and bulb housing was letting water in and this caused the corrosion.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Sent you a PM Strych.

·
Registered
30 Posts
there is usually a ground wire out back there connected to the frame for the rear end lights. that'd be my first look. electricicles don't like rust or corrosion...

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I had signals, brakes and all, just the parking lights wouldn't work. If your front park lights work and the back doesn't then the problem is at the rear. If you have no park lights or dash lights but all else works it may be the switch. Guts of the switch fell out of my other 94's switch once too.

·
Registered
889 Posts
how many plugs in back? Grounds?

I 2nd or 3rd checking grounds at back. Plus you might have to open the trailer harness plugs to check them too.

I installed a reciever hitch and it did not ground well to the frame from the wax/undercoat on the frame and I pulled loose a brake light wire loose in trailer harness. Weeks later I noticed back end lights were funny. That loose brake wire would intermittently touch ground then back fed through reverse light circuit to a common node on the ignition wire. My truck would still run with key off from the short while foot of brake in reverse.
My point grounds in back are important they complete some circuits and make sure all trailering wiring terminates correctly.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
check where the wires leave the cab going toward the rear. I think they have a small bundle that runs together. Also, sorry to ask, check the bulbs or install new ones, funny how some things sometimes happen together

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys,
I went to autozone and got a test light for a buck, And first thing i did was look at the trailer hitch wires. Well your not gonna believe what happened next. As soon as i touched the wires, FIRE broke out:eek: . Lol
the wires were definatally shorting. I blew out the fire but it just kept relighting. so I quickly cut the wires off. It seems that the donkey who put the hitch wires in, didnt put any protectant other than a half inch of elect tape around the connections. so the wires were snapping together and shorting out. I redid all the wires W/proper connections. Neatened up the mess. and now the lights are bright and clean looking. I really dont know why i was scared of doing the job. Im usually not interested in electrical stuff rather that mechanical. But the job was easy and quick. Just a half an hour in autozones parkinglot with a massive hangover,and now she's not farting flames.
But I just wanted to thank you guys for the help and confidence boost. thanks again, Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts