Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a trip to Tombstone for the week, I get home to unload the truck bed and the tail gate will not unlock and come down.

Do any of you know of a manual way to unlock the tail gate so I can figure out what is wrong with it. I'm assuming its all dirty (it pretty dusty running on the dirt roads at 50 mph :p:) and just will not disengage.

There is a possibility that one of the levers came loose which is why it will not unlock when you pull the tail gate lever up. I can see (when you look under the lever inside the tail gate) a lever on the left side, but not the right.

Any thoughts woudl be helpful.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
842 Posts
Mine did this. Normally it means one of the small plastic clips inside have broken. They are cheap like 2 bucks.

You will need to remove the outer rind around the handle. It is clipped in place. Hard to explain but pull out on the top and the clips will release. Be careful I broke two of the clips. The outer ring still goes back on but it is loose. Once off you will see how the handle, when pulled up to open the tailgate, moves to small bars horizonilly like the door locks in the cab. You just clip the new clip back in place and put the outer plastic ring back on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Radvans and talltail, thanks.

I think I know what you are talking about. I took the 3 bolts off on the inside of the tailgate to see if I could get a quick fix. I recall seeing the red clip and rod on the left side, but not on the right.

So that little red clip is $2??? and the Stealer wants $5, and they are made in China for $0.0001 per clip.

I'm for making a fair profit, but that's crazy:eek:.

I will see if I can find some at the part shop.

Thanks again,

Bill

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My plastic clips are broken also, ive been meaning to fix it for months. lol. From what i hear this is stupidly common.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Clips always break

·
Registered
842 Posts
My bolts are have rhino lining over them. I guess you could get to them through that access panel.

My deal likes me and sold them to me for $2. :)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
All you need to do is take off the trim around the handle on the exterior of the tail gate. Careful though. The pins holding the black trim ring on can break. It just pops off then you have access to the rods that connect directly to the handle.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tailgate clip part numbers

Just got back from being raped by the dealer, as one of my clips broke too. Thought I'd add the part numbers:

88981030 - green
88981031 - red

Cost almost $15 for the two at the dealer. Napa didn't have them.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Just got back from being raped by the dealer, as one of my clips broke too. Thought I'd add the part numbers:

88981030 - green
88981031 - red

Cost almost $15 for the two at the dealer. Napa didn't have them.

Yikes! they are PROUD of those little bastards! I need to get some, and the stupid cover. I broke the little tabs off. That must cost at least a thousand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
go to an autobody supply place, i am sure they are cheaper than dealership. very common part on every car and truck.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I got an assortment package of "door rod clips" from Kraken auto parts for 4 bucks, there is a few that work. I had to super glue the little tab back on the cover that some ham fisted 'tard broke. All is well and back together. Maybe these will last three years like the last ones.

·
Premium Member
17,928 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Napa P/N 735-2786

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anybody have the GM part numbers for a 2010 or an online link to good aftermarket clips for a 2010? Browsing the web models stop at 2007 for these clips. Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,657 Posts
Anybody have the GM part numbers for a 2010 or an online link to good aftermarket clips for a 2010? Browsing the web models stop at 2007 for these clips. Thanks.
Look on an OEM parts site like GMPartsGiant to find the OEM part numbers and then you can take the OEM part numbers and research online for a cheaper source

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've looked at GM parts direct, GM parts store, Rock Auto, etc., and cannot find the clips for trucks newer than 2007 anywhere. Any pointers or other ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
My tailgate lately refused to latch shut and I thought it was those clips as I've had that happen before over the decades of always having a truck. To my surprise, 2 things:
  • You can't use a flat head screwdriver to reach over and manually open the gate latches as they are like door latch assemblies nowadays.
  • It was dirt and oil accumulation in those "door latch" assemblies for the gate and not broken plastic clips. Cleaned up the assemblies with WD40 and some silicone spray. All's good again. Like butter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Napa P/N 735-2786
The above is what I replaced both clips with. It's a universal type of clip that works for both sides, just flip one side over so it clips from the top of the rod instead of the bottom. Seems to work fine. I am going to carry a couple of spares as it is a PITA if you can't open your tailgate all of the sudden. Bezel came off easy, bottom bolt of three on inside of tailgate removed, three clips carefully pried out on front of bezel, and off it came.

Dealer wanted $140 labor (1 hour) plus parts, including a new bezel, which they said they broke the clips 99 out of a 100 times so you're stuck w/ ordering and paying for one. The bezel's plastic clips actually have a metal covering over them, so I don't know how they accomplish breaking them if pried out carefully. Fixed it in 30 mins. for under $10. Awesome!

GM part numbers for these clips are: 16630689 (black, left side), 16630688 (white, right side). I assume both of these lGM parts loop under the rods, thus the different numbers. I'll see how long the NAPA ones last. Originals lasted 10 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts