Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to report that the fuel additive C ocktail seem to be working. After about 3 full tanks.

For the 96 I put in 12 ounces total of additive. 6 oz being Power Service and 6 oz 2-cycle oil (marine grade from wally world). That should be plenty for 30 gallons, but usually I only get 27 gals on a fill.

This so fat has bumped me from 14.5 to 15.5! Same driving of mixed city/highway. Still not super mileage though... Darn this winter fuel! The summer yielded about 17MPG in stock trim and no additive at all.

... The wife is slack about checking MPG so I have no idea if it helped the Burb or not.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I know what you mean about the winter/winter fuel. My mileage has been sucking @ss lately. I've been using the power service and just started using the 2 cycle oil in the tank I'm on now. Mileage seems be be up judging by where the odo is vs. the fuel gauge. Part of my problem is I have a slight case of happy foot since installing my new exhaust. I just love hearing it!

Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Pillow, I too have just started with an additive ****tail, so far have been running 16 oz of Power Service Grey bottle, as well as 8 oz of Havoline 2-cycle oil. I run the tank down to 1/4 to 1/8 tank and top back off. May be a little too much compared to what you run, I may try to thin it out some. I noticed in your signature you have the Pinnacle exhaust. Mine's on the way as well as an SS cone filter kit. You like yours? Power you can feel? sound? Let me know a few details if you could. Thanks. James

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am using the white bottle of the Power Service. Forgot to specify before.

And yes, I am very pleased with the SS intake and Pinnacle exhaust. From everything I have heard and read this should be good for 30 HP, look at the Banks site for dyno on a similar setup.

... It is too easy to lay on the go pedal just to hear the exhaust and turbo scream a little ;)

My only complaint is that with no muffler on the '96 it droans loudly at 70MPH and up. Also under load up hills it deepens tone considerably. As for the '99 with muffler, in the cabin you can barely tell it is a performance sysyem! Only pedestrians get to hear the lovely sounds.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Power service
Difference between white & grey Bottle (besides colour)?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Diesel-T;1565741; said:
Power service
Difference between white & grey Bottle (besides colour)?
IIRC... haven't looked at them side by side in a long time

White = anti-gel
Grey = No anti-gel

Other than that I know of no difference between them. I may be wrong... I've been buying the white for around 12 years, so I just keep getting the white bottle.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Guess I was wrong... I may to change to the grey bottle.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
White = anti gel, can be run all the time.

Gray = no anti gel.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh geeessss. I have to switch to the Grey bottle as well. In the store I read the bottles incorrectly.

Okay in the future it will be Grey Diesel Kleen Power Service.

David, I might have to check that 100 MPH idea one day :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Right past 120 mph it really gets noticeably quieter.

·
Registered
201 Posts
94blazer6.5;1565872; said:
IIRC... haven't looked at them side by side in a long time

White = anti-gel
Grey = No anti-gel

Other than that I know of no difference between them. I may be wrong... I've been buying the white for around 12 years, so I just keep getting the white bottle.

Both have anti gel, grey has the injector cleaner in it. Thats the only difference.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
read the bottles for pour point reduction

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry i have to comment here. I have been running this mixture 16oz white PS diesel kleen + 6-8oz 2 stroke oil, per tank for a 2800k mile trip the best i got was 12.7 mpg. Is there supposed to be another benifit to this other than the MPG? If you figure in what your putting in the tank for additives in $$ and not getting much gain in MPG your just costing yourself more money. Am i wrong? Correct me please if im missing something!!

Thanks,
P/K

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I use P/S in the white jug in the Mack religiously and P/S or KleenFlo in the pickup. The Mack averages 1/2+ mpg gain with the Power Service additives. I have never really tracked the pickup close enough to comment, I never use it consistantly enough on the highway to get realistic and comparable numbers.

I have a very good freind that destroyed the tips of his new injectors in a Cummins by being freindly to the fuel parts and adding transmission fluid to his fuel. I am not brave or rich enough to try it or 2-cycle oil on any of my diesel engines. It might be fine in the indirect injection engines but for now I am sticking to the over the counter additives.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The main advantage to additives is gain in mpg and protection of fuel system.
In winter it can prevent gelling of fuel. All depends on what you use.
The disadvantage is that it's not free.

You can't compare 2 cycle oil to transmission fluid.

Diesel is fuel oil, 2 cycle oil is fuel oil, transmission fluid is a hydraulic type of fluid with additives and it's not fuel or oil.

The PS gray bottle is not an anti-gel formula.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree David, Never have tried Transmission fluid for that very same reason. I figured since 2-cycle oil is made to dilute in fuel it was a better choice. IP's are a little expensive so anything I can do to raise lubrication, especially with this ULSD fuel, I will do it. The extra $4 it takes for 16 oz's of P/S grey bottle and 8 oz's of 2-cycle oil at each fill up is better than replacing the IP and not having down time. Just my $.02

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FWIW I think the tranny oil in ANY engine is a poor idea.

About a year ago a buddy convinced my to run 1 quart or tranny fluid through my VW CIS injected gas motor saying that it would clean the injectors out. Well it passed the tranny fluid okay and all, but ran like a dog for the full tank of it. In the future I think the 2-cycle oil would be a better way to clean even CIS injectors. Made to burn and still has the detergents in it.

As for the PS Grey versus White all I know is what is on thier website. And from the way I read it the Grey bottle it for power and NOT anti-gel. If I am mistaken please let me know. :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That's what it says. For anti-gel use white bottle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been using power service grey bottle 16 oz. per 28 gal fill up for about a year now. I have seen an average of 1 to 1.5 mpg increase. The savings pays for the bottle and gives me an extra 5 or 6 dollars after 6 tanks. I have not heard of 2-cycle oil as an additive though. Could you use 2-cycle oil with out any other additives? I'm just try to get the most bang for the buck.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts