Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hook up a tach to my Manual IP'd motor. There is a spot for an optical sensor on the front cover. Will this be a good signal for a tach?

I'm piecing this engine together and before I go out and buy the sensor, or a plug for the hole, I'd like to know if it will work.:D Oh, what does the sensor physically read? Is there a specific gear I need or what?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The EFI engines have a 4-tooth gear on the crank - the +5volt sensor reacts to that gear with pulses, which the PCM counts.

You'd need a tach which would supply +5v to the sensor

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, the long block I have is a '95 so the gear should be there. A tach that supplies 5v? Would that limit me to stock or are there aftermarket tachs I could use?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
You'll have to hit the websites, read the data - the late oem tach reads pulses from the alternator, the early from the distributor.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You can install a tach drive post on the back of your alternator. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago for $10. I think the $10 was for the education the guy gave me. From what he told me it seems rather easy. You split the case, put the tach drive stud in and put it back together. Any good alternator/starter shop should have the part. I will try to see if there were any numbers on the little bag if you wish.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be great! Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts