Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a trans in this truck. I filled thet case and trans with ATF. I have a leak from inside the t case im assuming from the tailshaft where it meets the t case. I have no clue honestly i thought they were both self contained wo figured that roundgasket was just for dust so i used the old one. Is there a seal in there or is it the mating gasket? Wantto know before i pull them apart so i can have parts ready thanks

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Leak

Attachments

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Leaking right behind the trans mount where they mate together and you can see its drained back and down

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Yes, there is a gasket there but I usually use ultra black rtv. These cases are fairly easy to get in and out by yourself but to be warned, all the weight is in the front section.

I can bench press them in and out in a stock truck.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, there is a gasket there but I usually use ultra black rtv. These cases are fairly easy to get in and out by yourself but to be warned, all the weight is in the front section.

I can bench press them in and out in a stock truck.
Copy that ill pull them apart. I just didnt think any fluid went in there?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,761 Posts
Copy that ill pull them apart. I just didnt think any fluid went in there?

It does because on a 2wd with a tail housing the seal for the driveshaft keeps the fluid in.
On a 4wd they remove the tail housing, change the output shaft and it's open so fluid can leak if not properly sealed.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Ya even my 465 to 241 only has a slinger on the main shaft so some oil runs into its extension housing & oil out means dirt and water in also.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Here’s the gasket if you splurge for one

C0595CF4-2963-4B7F-AE06-E86FC407BF23.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Transfer Case...

While you're at it, I'd pull the front plate off the transfer case and replace the double lipped seal. If it goes bad the transfer case will fill up with ATF from the transmission.

On my '91 V2500 the seal was bad, the previous owner kept topping off the transmission, and he was wondering where it was all going. :wtf: Turns out the vent for the transfer case had been relocated by someone to the frame rail near the rear axle, and once the transfer case was full (and I mean FULL!:eek:) the excess fluid was coming out the vent and dripping straight on the ground. Since the spot wasn't anywhere near the transmission, he assumed it was something else or from another vehicle.

There are four or five bolts holding the cover / seal retainer to the front of the transfer case. It's MUCH easier to unbolt it, pry it off, and replace the seal while it's off. It's sealed to the transfer case with RTV, so a wire brush makes short work of the cleanup. Some fresh RTV (I prefer Permatex Ultra Grey), slap it on, and run the bolts down snug (two clicks of the elbow should suffice) and you're good to go. :thumb:

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,761 Posts
WTurns out the vent for the transfer case had been relocated by someone to the frame rail near the rear axle, and once the transfer case was full (and I mean FULL!:eek:) the excess fluid was coming out the vent and dripping straight on the ground. Since the spot wasn't anywhere near the transmission, he assumed it was something else or from another vehicle.

Yikes

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Ya I happen to have a LHD 241 so I can post pic’s of the retainer and seal he’s talking bout.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips. Im going to drop it out on saturday evening and ill post pics.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Here’s that retainer and seal.

79131AED-CC48-47C7-86A5-5BB49C459EFA.jpg

If you question the front bearing you can pull it out the front but the snap ring on the main shaft is a real prick. If the bearing has any play it takes out the seal very quickly. I just went through my RHD 241 so if you have any questions I can answer them.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here’s that retainer and seal.

View attachment 626154

If you question the front bearing you can pull it out the front but the snap ring on the main shaft is a real prick. If the bearing has any play it takes out the seal very quickly. I just went through my RHD 241 so if you have any questions I can answer them.
Got it done today i installed a new gasket with ultra black.i hope all is well. Seal didnt appear to be leaking and i didnt see this post until now. If i have problems ill post back here but for now im hoping its fixed. Test drove it and 4x4 works and not leaking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts