Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had to replace the front output shaft seal on thier t-case. I have rebuilt tons of Np231's and Dana 300's but wanted to get some advice before I end up at the point of no return. The leak is not bad but as always I am sure it will get worse. Hope this is in the right place. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
They are simple. Unbolt the front u joint straps, pry the shaft back to get it out off the diff, then pull it forward until it stretches the rubber grommet dust seal thing (what's the word for that? I forget) and then carefully pry that off. Then slide the shaft out. Then you can replace that seal, then reinstall the shaft... Slide that grommet thing back on carefully...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I think you are describing the seal on the driveshaft. Am I correct? I am needing to replace the seal around the output shaft on the T-Case itself. I know the NP231 was simply a crush star seal and as soon as you impacted the output shaft yoke on the shaft the star filled in around it. However simple that one was I was not sure if this T-Case was similar.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The output shaft is the driveshaft itself, since it's a slip yoke deal you are pulling the shaft entirely out of the TC. Once you get that dust seal thing on the shaft loose it all just pulls out of the TC, then you can see right there is your oil seal left in the TC. Go to your dealer and have them print out the parts diagram and you'll see what I mean. Totally different than a fixed yoke 205 or 231.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AWWWWWW!!! ):h I see now. That should be a real easy fix. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine went out today. I was under the truck one day this week and all was fine. While fueling up today noticed the leak-- real bad. Still under warranty so ran it to the dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish mine was warranty, but it seems pretty easy so I won't complain. It doesn't leak that bad at all. I noticed it when I bought the truck but instead of having them fix it I squeezed some more cash out of them. Probably work out for the better seeing as they gave me around $250 cash to settle the problem and sell the truck.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
$250 cash for taking 30 minutes max to install a $15 seal (depending where you get it) seems like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah not too bad of a deal. There is also a leak starting at the front diff were the driver's side axle is. I replaced that very seal on my 98 K1500 and it was a little tough but still the seal only ran about $10. Figure this one can't be much worse than that. I think I planned it right, out of the $250, by the time time I bought my used Edge Juice, the 2 seals and a 12 pack I should have enought left over for BigMac and some fries. ):h

1 - 9 of 9 Posts