Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantages and disadvantages of T-bars to coil springs?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
They both work. We gotta have t bars so the front axle is not blocked. With coil springs the axle cannot connect to the wheel

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
You could have an IFS with coil springs, torsion bars or coil over shocks or even air shock. Design and cost are usually the deciding factor when trucks are manufactured.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Sorry I ment to say it blocks the driveshaft not the axle

Yeah cause there is no front driveshaft
does not block the drive shaft it would block the cv axles i just added it because i do not know if his is 2 wheel drive or not

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
not if you used coil over in place of shock, ala f150... think superlift(?) is making a coil over kit for hd's... pricey though

·
Registered
258 Posts
Fabtech has a coil spring front for the 2500/3500HD's I think it's a coil over shock though.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Coil springs are just torsion bars twisted around in a circle.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Coil springs are just torsion bars twisted around in a circle.
Coils can be designed to be progressive rate where as a t bar is a constant rate

·
Registered
665 Posts
Coils can be designed to be progressive rate where as a t bar is a constant rate
True for the most part. I have seen a torsion bar setup for variable rate but I can't remember where off the top of my head. The setup used a bar with a smaller diameter at one end with a secondary torsion key on the bar at the point where the diameter changed. The idea was that unloaded the spring rate would be determined by the rate of the small diameter section but when the load was sufficiently heavy the secondary key would contact a stop and then the rate would increase to the rate of the large diameter section of the bar. It was more of a dual rate setup than a true progressive rate, but interesting none the less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts