Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas,
ok constantly you read about people saying that cranking your t bars are bad for your suspension and causes premature damage and what not, but still about everyone you talk to on this site has cranked there trucks to level, so my question is, how bad could it possible be for our trucks if people constantly do it and also who on here has had problems with there suspension as a result of cranking and how many miles did there truck go after cranking before problems occured? thanks for any info,

christman:ro)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Mine's cranked up a bit and rides much better. As measured at the center of the fender wells it now sits exactly 1 inch lower in front than the rear which is about an inch closer than it was stock. I found some guidance on a suspension web site for our trucks and applied their recommendations which were as follows:
I cranked it up (about 6 turns) so that the suspension rode approximately 1/4 inch above (off of) the rubber bump stop located on the lower A-arm.
The suspension also now sits approximately 1 1/4 inches below the hard, full extension stop located up top.
Haven't done anything to the shocks yet but the truck rides quite nice now compared to before. Stock, it actually squatted on the rubber bump stop so didn't have much travel at all so it was rather harsh.
There's my 2 cents...and no, I haven't gotten it realigned yet but know I should. I just don't have any unusual tire wear or anything at this time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Cranked mine up about 6000 miles ago. Put shock spacers in to smooth the ride out and have had no issues thus far. Plus it looks great like my avatar to the left (I will have to take a real picture of my truck soon and post it.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
this is the second truck i've owned that I have cranked up the t-bars. Ride is a little stiffer but never had any problems. After seeing the before and after alignment readings, I would strongly reccomend an alignment.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
this is the second truck i've owned that I have cranked up the t-bars. Ride is a little stiffer but never had any problems. After seeing the before and after alignment readings, I would strongly reccomend an alignment.
:exactly: As long as you don't crank the Censored out of it, you'll be fine. Just do it enough to make it look right.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I'm cranked up enough to have 1/2" rake down to front. I also put some 5/8" shock spacers in which helped the ride quite a bit. I don't drive hard over rough roads or in my farm fields and now have about 29,000 miles. No front end troubles. I'd rather roll the dice and have the look I want. Went 60,000 miles with my '03 8.1/A, bars were cranked (not as far) and never had any issues with it. Let me stress, though, that re-alignment is very important! Oh, and when cranking it, be on a level spot and do what you need to get it level. That means you'll probably turn different amounts on each side.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a big problem with wearing parts out on mine when I installed the green keys. Lifted it 2" and installed 285's and I ended up wearing out my stock antenna because is was too damn long and hit the top of the garage door every time i pulled in. You know that sound...TWAAAAANNNNGGG! Cost me $20 for a new 18" billet antenna.

3yrs and almost 40K, stock shocks and no problems. Yes it will wear out parts faster but the thing is no one has actually done it yet so we will have to get back to you on just how much faster that is!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot fellas the info you gave has been great and kind of eased my fear of cranking the t bars, i'll take all your advice into consideration and again thanks for your input

·
Registered
78 Posts
My dad and I have been "cranking" our Chevys since the early to mid 90's. I currently have a '97 I mainly just use to hunt in now. It has 130,000 miles and the only think I have done is replace the ball joints. I did this at about 110-115,000. This truck has been cranked from day one and has had a pretty hard life since it was retired. I plan on cranking up my new '06 when it gets here in about a month.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Cranked mine. No probs (except I too will be in the market for an antenna). Got any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
7 turns on mine for 30K...no problems.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Had a cv joint replaced after cranking at about 6K post crank miles and some steering issues, which I belive are seperate from the cranking. The dealer replaced my cv under warranty the boot was leaking, really wasnt anything wrong with the CV itself, but they (dealer blamed it on the green keys and cranked t-bars) said as long as it was under warranty they would replace them free of charge havent had any problems since but I guess the truck will fall apart here in the next 1500 miles or so since I will be outta warranty by then.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have cranked up all my trucks and I plow and work with them everyday, My last truck was and 03 2500HD Chevy reg cab gas and I had them cranked as far as they could go and I plow commercially and the only problem I had in 75,000 miles was a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
So what do we conclude from all this?

How about that cranking is fine to do. If you only want 2" of lift - it is the only way to go. If you can do it without green keys then do it. If you need green keys to keep your bolts from bottoming out then get the GM parts for less than $40 bucks. Either way - if you are only leveling - no need for an expensive leveling kit - some of these are just keys anyway and others are more involved but I don't think you need any of them to gain 1-2" of lift on our front ends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts