Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be switching to all sythetic on my truck including the 6.0L gasser motor. I am curious what would be a reasonable mileage interval between oil change when using sythetic oil? I do not want to stretch the interval to the limit, but also do not want to change the fluid too sooner than really necessary. Just a general reasonable interval.

·
Registered
644 Posts
wxmn6, I've been running synthetic since my truck was new, I personally go with 12,500 change intervals, but every truck is different and so is the owner...there are places that will test your oil and give you a full report on it so you have some idea on how many miles is too many.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I asked the dealer this same question and they recommended a 3,000 mile change just like dino (go figure). I would imagine they have a little more to gain financially with 3k syn. changes though.

TOXIC

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I was in the same situation when I bought my 2002 HD 2500 6.0 and my wife's 2002 Yukon XL 5.3. Because I bought the trucks one week apart, I got the dealer to throw in oil changes for LIFE...Every 3000 miles I drive to the dealer,they change the oil,lube it,and wash it for free. Can't beat it. I went to trade up to a Duramax and wanted the same deal and the dealer understandably told me to go pound sand.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic in my 6.0L and I am going with the manufacturers recomended interval of once a year or every 25,000 miles. This is with using an Amsoil Super Duty oil filter and changing it at 12,500 miles. Sythetics last longer, hands down. I drive over 22,000mi a year so this helps to save me some money. I guess time will tell how long the Amsoil will help my engine to last.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Chevyfreek said:
..........using an Amsoil Super Duty oil filter and changing it at 12,500 miles. Sythetics last longer, hands down. I drive over 22,000mi a year so this helps to save me some money. I guess time will tell how long the Amsoil will help my engine to last.

Same as what I have been doing for the last 4 years on my gasser's, never a problem.

Running 5000/10000 for the Dmax per Amsoils recommendations.Edited by: 03BlueHD

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered a case of Amsoil sythetic last week but didn't order their "Super Duty" oil filter. I am planning to use AC/Delco oil filter. Would it be fine or should I reconsider? Thanks for all those who helped!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I believe that per Amsoil...you can use the oem filter, but they recommend you change it at regular manufacturer listed intervals...ie:3000-5000miles

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm... that's interesting because if I have to change the filter every 3-5K miles, then I would need to change the oil too. Because once you take the filter out, the oil will just pour out, right? Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
wxmn6,Just change Your filter then top off.Maybe 1 quart.
Rob.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep, you will loose some oil, probably less than a quart as stated. The drain plug in the oil pan is the only way to drain the system.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My order of Amsoil fluids just came in today. Wow! I ordered it last Friday night and it only took two business days to get here. I am impressed. My truck is due for oil change and I hope to do it this weekend, however I will need to get oil filter too. I think I will be placing another order, just for Amsoil oil filters. Would be much easier that way instead of changing it every 3-5K. An extra quart of sythetic oil would be enough to cover for shipping so I guess I would be saving more $$ buying Amsoil filter that way. Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
You may want to order a bottle of their engine cleaner. They recommend running through the motor before you change over to the new synthetic. Just an fyi....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chevyfreek - I checked out the Amsoil online store and I am not sure which one is the one you are referring to. Can you tell me which one is the one I need?

APF-SC - Power Foam Engine Cleaner & Degreaser - (1) 18-oz. spray can

OR

AEF-CN - Engine Flush - (1) 16-oz. Can

The first one, I am not sure how it work, but the second one, I assume that you pour it into a fresh full tank of gas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is the stuff you need:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/aef.html

It is the AEF-CN you mentioned above. You add this directly into your engine oil, NOT into the gas tank. I think the instruction said to run it in the engine oil for 10 minutes at a high ilde, 1100rpms or so is what I did. Then drain the old oil and put in the fresh stuff...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts