Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about changing over to synthetic motor oil. I tow a 5th wheel camping trailer about 225 miles round trip 2 to 4 times a month from April to Oct. and I change the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles. If I switch to synthetic will I still have to change it every 3 months or 3,000 miles or can I go longer? The trailer wieght is 8,300 LBS. dry .

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I would go longer. At 3K you could still stick to reg. Dino oil. You should be fine with changing it at 5K.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
most guys go with what gm reccomends 7k mile changes. with synthetic you can usually go way longer. amsoil allows you to go 2x what the manufacture says, or longer when you use a bypass system. i change mine every 10k using the amsoil 5w-30hdd diesel oil, ill be bumping it up after every change

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently pulled my Shell Rotella T 15W40 at 8,000 miles (12 months) and sent in a sample. It came out PERFECT and was told to go 8,500 miles the next time. That was on conventional oil. Remember, we are running 2.5 gallons of oil in these trucks. Higher capacity means higher oil change intervals. I'll continue changing every 8,000 miles, as every 3000 would be a waste of natural rsources.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Spartus;1600101; said:
I recently pulled my Shell Rotella T 15W40 at 8,000 miles (12 months) and sent in a sample. It came out PERFECT and was told to go 8,500 miles the next time. That was on conventional oil. Remember, we are running 2.5 gallons of oil in these trucks. Higher capacity means higher oil change intervals. I'll continue changing every 8,000 miles, as every 3000 would be a waste of natural rsources.
:exactly:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I change my rotella t oil per the dic which is around 9000 miles. At 3000 miles all you are doing is wasting money and oil.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i sent a sample in of amsoil 5-30 with 11000 miles on it and is was great, sample said to keep running, all i have is the amsoil 25000 mile filter. going to take another sample here at 16000 miles to see if it's changed. truck had 9500miles on it when i switched and now i'm getting close to 25000 so notmany miles left before i send in another sample.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I change mine twice a year even if it don't need it, along with the fuel filter and tranny filter..( late fall and early spring ) that keeps me in great shape for the towing season and then fresh fuel filter for winter use also. Oil test alway come back good and say run it longer, but i figure its cheap maintence..
WORK TRUCKS WE RUN 400 HOURS ON A OIL CHANGE AND HAVE NOT HAD A BAD TEST RESULT YET..

Arm:) :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The DIC on the 06 increased the drain interval to about 10K.
My 1st oil analysis @ 10K on Mobil Delvac 1300 Super (Dino) said to keep running the oil but I plan to go by the DIC and change every 10K.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Guys, i have a question on which amsoil synthetic oil to use. Should i use there 5w-40 or the 15w-40 and why. Thanks Cole.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I would use the 5W. I use 0W40 for easier cold starts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One thought to ponder is about the oil filter. We all know that extended drain intervals are desireable, but how much particulate can our filters hold. I believe that it is safe to say that running a stock oil filter beyond 8,000 to 10,000 miles wouldn't be a good idea. You don't want dirty oil circulating in your motor.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I use Rotella syn. 5w-40 but the next oil change it will 15w-40 syn, it seems the lighter oil makes the DMAX chatter to much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts