Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to a diesel tech up here in AK and he stated that running synthetic up here isn't the greatest thing for our diesels. Says that since you have better lubrication, the motor isn't going to have as much friction, and not allow the fuel to burn as well. Is there any truth to this or is it just the opposite of what he says. I believe he mostly works on the other 2. Thanks for the help, just trying to decide what exactly I am going to run.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Why would you want friction for a more complete burn. I would think you would want more heat, but friction is the last way I would use to get more heat. I use the winter cover and run synthetics, and wouldn't do it any other way.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well that's one I've never heard before....

The whole idea is that with synthetics you can run a lighter viscosity oil, that's the bottom number of the rating, and still get the protection of oil that has the higher number in the rating.

This is really most important in cold climates for better starting, adequate initial lubrication, and yet full protection at normal operating temps.Edited by: Zeeb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts