Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric,

A friend of mine has a new 03 Chevy D'max 1 ton he uses to pull his race car. He has about 7k miles on it now and will do another oil change this weekend. He was asking when he could switch to full synth oil and which one he should use. In his 'gas world' he uses Mobil 1 but wants to know what kind and when he can change over.

What are you recommendations?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
211 Posts
If he is a Mobil 1 fan, turn him on to Delvac 1. It is Mobil's HD Diesel oil, however it is not readily available in retail locations. Check with your local Mobil distributer, you should be able to buy it in case quantities @ ~$80. (4 gallons per case) It is available on-line from avlube.com. You can also find it in most of the better truck stops but the price will vary from $21-$30 per gallon.

It is one of the few, if not the only, API certified Diesel oil that is a Group IV oil. Group IV oils are made from 100% synthetic base stocks as opposed to hydro-cracked dino basestock.
For more info check out The Oil Drop forums.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I changed to syn at 3,000 miles, no problems... Only reason I waited was price to get a couple of quick flushes done.

Mark

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I drained my oem oil at 3k and refilled with Delvac, Mostly chose it because we stock it and its convienent. There are other quality oil on the market such as Rotella, Scheaffers, and Delo 400. Any quality synthetic is a step up from the most advanced dino oil. A lot of the decision on which to use will likely come down to what's most avail in your area.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Switched to AMSoil at 1500, Did initial drain at 500, then ran another 1000 (all with dino oil). Very happy and no problems so far. The only reason I ran dino so long, was I couldn't find Delvac and was trying to decide between that and AMSoil.
Where can I get Delvac cheaper? Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
avlube.com 24.64gal/83.39case
Delvac1 Truck Stop listing Shows 8 locations in <st1:State><st1:place>Tennessee</st1:place></st1:State> a Pilot and 7 Travel Centers of <st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region>

There are distributors in Ripley, <st1:City><st1:place>Johnson City</st1:place></st1:City>, McMinnville, <st1:place>South Pittsburg</st1:place>, <st1:City><st1:place>Memphis</st1:place></st1:City>, and <st1:City><st1:place>Kingston</st1:place></st1:City>.

My local distributor sends me out the door with a case for $80.16 including sales tax. Mobil Site

Don’t get me wrong here, I don’t want to knock Amsoil, they make a very good product. ( I don’t care for some of their propaganda and distribution system, however) Likely the product you are using is not approved/recommended by GM for your DMAX.

The last I heard Amsoil does not have a API certified DIESEL oil that is 100% synthetic. They have a blend that is and a 100% oil they say meets API specs. It is not API Certified, as Amsoil chose to not submit it for testing. I’m sure Amsoil would back you in a warranty fight with GM. I’d prefer to avoid the fight altogether.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts