Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a little weary of the costs of synthetic I was a little late jumping on the bandwagon per se. However when seeing Shell Syn Rotella T 5-40 for 12.84 a gallon it was time to try it.

Today I got my first oil analysis results, running Syn oil. And its been my best OA since my truck was brand new 46K miles ago. If I had the time, Id post all my previous results with Dino oil, but that would bore ya and take too much time.(im lazy)

Cu 4

FE 13

CR 3

PB 0

Al 1

Si 7

Mo 10

Na 0

Ca 3175

Sn 0

K 0

MG 0

Zn 1203

Negative On fuel, water, Anti freeze,soot, Oxidationized oil, No sulfur present

Miles on oil 6,000

Current oil change done at 45,612 miles

Last oil change done 7-30-03 39,612 miles

Im happy, My AFE setup was installed at my last oil change, seems like that is all good based upon my silicon levels

Bill

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I know nothing about reading oil analysis's, but I will take your word for it being good.... I have been waiting to hear something good about the rottella synthetic...... Thanks....

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
To much information....
Why ya'all over analyzing your fluids? Why not just put it in and run it and be consistent about the PM part. I am not saying in anyway it is a bad thing but with this information people can react in funny ways. Both good and Bad. However if you saw the Fe or Cu was high what are you going to do about it? Take it to the dealer and tell them you want a new motor as the analysis showed high counts of metal? I do know one thing you would do. Worry night and day about when it was going to hurt itself.

Now if your doing it for fun and learning about fluid impurities and the periodic element chart, then it is all good....

Carry on.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi, Jeff how goes the battle? Are you going to Super Chevy in Vegas this year? I was going, but got a chance to go to SEMA instead and leaving tomorrow, taking the truck again...... Know any shortcuts ha ha ha

All the best to ya!

Not sure if you have been following all the recent stuff about the DMAX, but check out all the need for better fuel filtering and one reasons for early injector failures etc. I put on the CAT Pre-Filter just to prolong the life of the injectors or I should say I had Nick put it on for me while I held the flashlight (one thing I am good at LOL)

Anyway should make interesting reading if you ahve not already looked at it.

Viva Las Vegas!!!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I agree in most of our situations aggressive oil analysis' are unnecessary, but I think from time to time it may be a good thing to check to ensure that all is well(open injectors or too much fuel/soot).

Than again for someone who is going to baseline their truck for extended intervals or to see if the oil is truly capable of up to 10,000 mile changeouts, how else can you tell???

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess oil analysis can be looked at as a waste of money, But it has helped me in the long run more than what its worth. ie. we took delievery of a new GMC running a CAT 3126 had issues from delivery brought to local CAT dealer did an OA to gather some info(fuel problem)...found out someone put 5-30 or 10-30 in the engine, Vehicle had under 600 miles on it whats $10-15 I mean proper PM doesn't guarantee a unoticeable issue.Injector issues, return line issues can turn a $10K engine into a boat anchor pretty quick. Its good to see a brand new truck running a stock air filter with a Silicon ppm of 25!!!!. Its also cheap money to view how your oil holds up to extended oil drains.

They way I look at it is whats $15 bucks spent on a vehicle we already spent 40-45K on. Nevermind its good proof to show dealer,possible buyer of the vehicle, etc in the future. I can provide more examples, but like I say 15 bucks every 12K miles or so...... Aint gonna kill me, I take care of the things outside the engine, My OA's show everythings fine on the parts I cant see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts