·
Registered
1,412 Posts
carb cleaner, patience, and lots of turns

Reactions: bvill01

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
J.J.& A Racing makes the perfect tool for it. i bought one cause i had 3 swollen stuck plugs and the way theyr tool works makes it a breeze. its well worth the $100 in my book.

google " J.J.& A Racing glow plug removal tool"

basically you unthread the glow plug slip the tool onto the glow plug and it apply s even outward pulling pressure to it. the glow plug dosent turn the tool dose.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Recently got the pleasure of this task for myself after reading about it for years.

1) Remove the small injection line retainer screw.

2) Remove the injection line nuts from offending cylinder and cylinder that shares injection line couple from the injectors.

3) Remove injector return lines from offending cylinder's injector.

4) Remove the injector from the cylinder.

5) Observe swollen glow plug tip (feel in there with your finger and also you can see it with a light).

6) Unscrew the plug as far as it will unscrew.

7) Take a piece of napkin/shop towel and shove it in the injector hole inside of the precup so that it is underneath the glowplug and plugs the precup opening's hole into the cylinder.

8) Take a pair of pliers and grab the body of the loose glow plug and bend the glow plug forcefully (you're trying to bend this like you would a piece of wire until it breaks off).

9) After glow plug body breaks off of it's tip, push the glow plug tip inside the precup chamber with a screw driver or piece of wire via the glow plug hole.

10) Retrieve loose glow plug tip from the precup injector opening with a slender pair of needle nose pliers.

11) Retrieve your piece of paper towel from the cylinder.

12) Vaccum out the precup if you have fragments.

13) Blow out the injector hole opening and glow plug openings to remove sut, install injector and glow plug.

14) Re-install return lines and injector lines and injector line retaining screw.

That's it.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
That is a very good description John, thanks for posting it up.....should be in the sticky's for sure......J&J.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
That is a very good description John, thanks for posting it up.....should be in the sticky's for sure......J&J.
Is that a hint? You don't like the start it and rev it way in the FAQ's?

Reactions: turbonator

·
Registered
336 Posts
J.J.& A Racing makes the perfect tool for it. i bought one cause i had 3 swollen stuck plugs and the way theyr tool works makes it a breeze. its well worth the $100 in my book.

google " J.J.& A Racing glow plug removal tool"

basically you unthread the glow plug slip the tool onto the glow plug and it apply s even outward pulling pressure to it. the glow plug dosent turn the tool dose.

Also try Leroy's glowplug removal tool. Works good, and cheaper.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Is that a hint? You don't like the start it and rev it way in the FAQ's?
great way to raise compression by driving the tips into the top of the pistons...LOL.. better than compression in a bottle, only need to add once...):h

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
I like the military way myself. Snap it off, put a new one in and listen to it exit when you start it up. Probably not a good way with a turbo.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
I like the military way myself. Snap it off, put a new one in and listen to it exit when you start it up. Probably not a good way with a turbo.
:eek:

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Haven't you seen pictures of military engines with the heads off?
Usually there's a few pistons with glow tip imprints on them. Apparently it was common practice for the motor pool.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Added to the FAQ's

If only I could remember all the other things I should add.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Haven't you seen pictures of military engines with the heads off?
Usually there's a few pistons with glow tip imprints on them. Apparently it was common practice for the motor pool.
Nope, have pics?

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
is this why there are "lots" of crated 6.2 hummer motors with 40k miles on them for sale on ebay and government liquidation?

"utoh private pile just broke another glow plug send it to the auction block its ok the tax payers wont mind":rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Here's one...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Well I got that glow plug out a good tug with a pair of vise grips and wd40 it didn't break
lucky it must not have been that bad. i pulled out one that looked like a banana peel split down the middle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya I did that mod from a ford relay for the gpugs and push button but i wait 9 seconds with the button in and try's to start hit the button for 9 seconds again and it starts does that sound right maybe in need to change fuel filters and Injector return line hoses some look cracked not sure?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts