Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have never seen what a swollen glow plug tip looks like. Here is an example. These 2 came out of the passenger's side of my truck. They were supposed to have been changed in 2004 just before I bought the truck. The swollen one is an 11g, the non-swollen one is a 12g, the 2 others that I removed weren't swollen and they were both different brands, AC Delco, but I couldn't find anywhere that said what "g" they were.

Moral of the story. Don't ever trust what you've been told. The only way you will know for sure what is going on in your truck is to inspect it for yourself. If you're going to go through the trouble of getting at the passenger's side glow plugs, you might as well replace them. Afterall, it's only about $65 for a set of 8.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Good show - can you post the other two?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pic of the 2 plugs is the other 2 from the passengers side. I can't see anywhere what "g" they are. They are AC Delco 771 107. The pic of the 4 plugs are from the driver's side. They are all the same, AC Delco 11g.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I hope you don't mind me adding this Dave.

This is what you don't want to see when you change your glow plugs, lol.

If this pic doesn't work you can see it in my garage.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
at least the tip didn't come off . you must be living right.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
teroma25;1478416; said:
I hope you don't mind me adding this Dave.

This is what you don't want to see when you change your glow plugs, lol.

If this pic doesn't work you can see it in my garage.
I don't mind at all....and you're right. I think I would $hit my pants if I pulled that out. I was starting to pucker a little when the one with the swollen tip didn't slide right out.

Dave

·
Registered
522 Posts
Great post Dave! Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
The last time I changed glows, the 9 g's were mushroomed to about twice that size and one broke off in the head requiring the injector to be removed to blow it out with compressed air.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to jiggle and finesse that one out. Any more swelling and I think I would have been screwed!

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Removing GP tip with compressed air

quantum mechanic The last time I changed glows, the 9 g's were mushroomed to about twice that size and one broke off in the head requiring the injector to be removed to blow it out with compressed air.

To blow the tip out with compressed air would you bring the piston to TDC for that cylinder and use a special air nozzle or what?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
A broken tip would be in the pre cup not the cylinderhead, a blast or two of 100 psi air from an air nozzel that fits into the glow plug hole will lift the tip out of the injector hole.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
if i would have known that tid bit of info about the tip of an glow plug being retrievable i wouldn't have pulled the head off my 6.2 and saw the none leaking cracks. and i would be still driving it. now it has a almost new 6.5 na in its place

1 - 12 of 12 Posts