Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about EFi accept that it makes huge power and that i want it someday. From what i understand you can tune your Allison to handle the power better. Anyway getting to the point, I was wondering if it was possible to have a switchable TCM for different power levels? I know that there is like a 5 tune switchable ECM but your tranny takes time to learn each of those tunes and you can hurt even a built tranny if your not carefull. If you had say a 5 tune switchable TCM could you switch both and then drive it like you want to?

·
Registered
107 Posts
here is my 2 cents:
Any tune that is higher then stock will cause a little more wear and tear on the internals of the transmission, the percentage of wear will depend on how much power you are running thru it and how hard you are driving it, plus towing etc. there are quite a few variables. Some will say " My transmission is bone stock and I'm running 150 HP and its just fine. Maybe it feels normal but the truth is the stock transmission was designed to operate at stock HP levels and will have a significantly shorter life. one of my customers has two d-maxes and he has one truck that feels fine running 200+ HP over stock, but we also see alot of lost power thru the transmission, and his other truck the same program will limp every time.

But the trick to running different power levels on efilive is to have B1105 and A0210 the same. other wise the tranny will have to relearn every time you change power levels, its not as noticible on small increments, but I will switch from tow mode 50 HP to 200+:driver: and the trans won't miss a beat.:grd:

Anyway play with it and see what you think, I doubt they will come up with switchable tranny tunes, but you never know what they will do next.
They also said they would only support GM.;)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You can build a second tune in the TCM useing the Tow/Haul button as the switch

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I had the same question. Almost like a dsp2 tranny switch.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
ZR1160;1573148; said:
You can build a second tune in the TCM useing the Tow/Haul button as the switch
That's what I was thinking, haven't done it but most tables have different cells for "normal" or "tow/haul", so it should work the same huh?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be cool if you could do more than tow/haul though. Can you imagine? You could take it in to get it worked on, change the tunning in the ECM and TCM so that no one plays with your truck, then tune it back up all without relearning. Or you could run out to the track and have a race tunes for both TCM and ECM without relearning you could have more consistent runs and you could really compare your tunes.

E

·
0 Posts
We have no plans for switchable TCM tuning at this point.

Cheers
Cindy

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
mxrider801;1574830; said:
It would be cool if you could do more than tow/haul though. Can you imagine? You could take it in to get it worked on, change the tunning in the ECM and TCM so that no one plays with your truck, then tune it back up all without relearning. Or you could run out to the track and have a race tunes for both TCM and ECM without relearning you could have more consistent runs and you could really compare your tunes.
You can lock the ECM not sure on the TCM but I would imagine so. That way dealer can't program over it.
Also you could use the tow/haul button as a "TCM-DSP2" switch and once you have it like you want it, disable the adaptive learning. I don't know how effective this would be in getting what you're talking about or even close, but just a thought.
Several others have asked about switchable TCM tunes, including Ben, )Duratothemax) he should know more.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
05LLY2500HD;1576212; said:
You can lock the ECM not sure on the TCM but I would imagine so. That way dealer can't program over it.
Also you could use the tow/haul button as a "TCM-DSP2" switch and once you have it like you want it, disable the adaptive learning. I don't know how effective this would be in getting what you're talking about or even close, but just a thought.
Several others have asked about switchable TCM tunes, including Ben, )Duratothemax) he should know more.

Thats cool that you can lock it i didn't know that. But what i meant by playign with it is people roddin your truck. I can always tell when my service is done because i hear the strait pipe sound come roarin through the shop....then around the building...into the parking lot.... and then i get my truck back nice and warm. I will have to talk to Ben and see what he has found out. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
mxrider801;1577388; said:
Thats cool that you can lock it i didn't know that. But what i meant by playign with it is people roddin your truck. I can always tell when my service is done because i hear the strait pipe sound come roarin through the shop....then around the building...into the parking lot.... and then i get my truck back nice and warm. I will have to talk to Ben and see what he has found out. Thanks for the info.
OK, well when the DSP5 is here, there will be a "valet mode" for that exact situation, and you can program it to not go over 10 mph or whatever you choose to do, that's the beauty of it. By a simple switch that you can hide and flip it when you first pull into the dealer or when your kids drive it or whatever. You can actually do the same with DSP2 you'll just have one "tune" and the other will be your "valet mode"
Hope it helps!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
that is what i plan on doing when i get my efi and switch because everytime i take it to get washed they always gun it to just move it 50ft so i was thinking to limit the RPMs instead of the speed think that would work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts