Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old trailer I used to pull with my 06. All lights work fine. I hook it up to my 19 and get the "Check Wiring" on the dic and the bells that won't stop. I researched it and I guess the 7 pin looks for the trailer brakes? This trailer used to have trailer brakes but they are toast. I never used them anyway.

Can I cut the 7 pin off and connect a 4 pin so just the trailer lights work to stop the message in the dic and the bells going off?

If not, what type of brakes do I need to put back on the trailer to get the 7 pin to work?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just try a 7-to-4 adapter. They are available at Wally World and almost all auto stores (and of course online too).

·
Premium Member
17,905 Posts
Well, if the trailer has brakes, most likely they'll need to work. IMHO, any trailer load over 3500#, including the trailer, should have working brakes.

To eliminate the message for now, just cut the blue wire on the trailer (preferably in a location that be spliced easily, later on, when you fix the brakes).

Reactions: FloridaZ

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I thought new trucks had both....

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Contact the folks at E-trailer, I'm sure they have a part or answer for you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If your trailer is required by law to have brakes you need to get them fixed. It's not up to you if you want to use them or not. They are or are not required by law. Sounds like yours are required if it was originally equipped.
As for the warning lights, just unhook the blue wire at the trailer junction box until you get the brakes fixed. It has nothing to do with the actual 7 pin plug. I can't imagine that any 7 pin plug use makes it "look" for brakes. Truck campers use the 7 pin plug and they don't have brakes. All of my trailers have a 7 pin installed just so I don't have to mess with adapters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts