Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it? How do I go about doing it. How much performance does it give. Also is it harmful when it comes to rain?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Powell said:
What is it? How do I go about doing it. How much performance does it give. Also is it harmful when it comes to rain?
Swiss Cheese'ing ones airbox is the act of drilling 1' holes all along the bottom below the filter .... Have yet to hear anyone complain of water intake .... Drill one or two in the bottom while your at it for a drain ....

I simply drilled two (big) holes in the front of mine and in the bottom .... I have since changed to a AFE Stage II intake system see Pics ...

As far as which air cleaner ,if you were staying with the stock airbox I'd try the Uni filter available here at a very reasonable price .....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think the power increase was more on the AFE Stage 2 or was it about the same? What about ambient air temps, etc..?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
We dyno'd a truck with and without the AFE no actual power increase in HP numbers ....

Faster spool up is a definite increase with either a modified airbox or AFE open cell element .... Increased turbo whistle is also apparent,More so with the AFE ....

As long as you keep the holes to the front and not suck engine compartment heat it will be a plus .....

Mac

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Here's how I did mine:

:

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
That's what I was talking about a while ago John. I'm doing the same when I get some spare time.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Looks like JK snuck into my garage and stole my airbox for a picture...

Mines looks exactly the same plus lot of holes on the bottom as well....if they are on yours, I can't tell from the picture.

And on the eighth day, God created the Dremel tool. Edited by: Minn-Kota

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine looks the same also. Leaves plenty of rigidity so the box doesn't deform with the lid clamping down on the filter.

Steve

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Ditto for mine, except i have lots of holes in the bottom and a few above the big cutout across part of the top edge..

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Minn-Kota said:
Looks like JK snuck into my garage and stole my airbox for a picture...

Mines looks exactly the same plus lot of holes on the bottom as well....if they are on yours, I can't tell from the picture.

And on the eighth day, God created the Dremel tool.

No I did NOT do holes in the bottom. I wanted the additional area to face forward and away from engine heat. Even this way, it still gets plenty of "prop wash".

I trimmed the vertical cross ribs from the floor ribs and drilled a 3/16" hole in each long compartment for drainage, and that was it. Mine was done in December 2002 shortly after taking delivery, and now sports a Uni foam filter...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts