Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe (2 door) with the 350 and factory 5 speed manual tranny. I was thinking about swapping in a 6.5 turbodiesel and was wondering what would be involved. Can the Tahoe chassis and suspension support the 6.5? Will the mounting points on the frame and block match up? Will it mate to my tranny? What else would be involved besides swapping the gas tank and, fuel lines and pumps? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if this is a feasible project.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Computer, wiring harness, hydoboost, front torsion bars and maybe some other stuff I can't think of. GM had the 6.5 in the 2 door Hoe's so everything will bolt in and work. They did use the 4l80 trans though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The project is feasible. However I would think you want to stay with and older injection system rather than the OBD2 computer driven ones. If I were doing it I would go with a machanicl pump no matter what year engine you were mounting it on.

The trans, and motor mounts location should not be a problem. The front end may require some help in the area of the springs.

You will ahve to set up a fuel return system, depending what size tank you have you may be able to get a diesel set up for that tank.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
If your going to ditch the computer and go mechanical, go for a 3.9 Cummins 4 banger. Your truck is only a half ton and the 4 banger can make 300hp easy enough. It is more work swapping it in but it will leave room in front for an intercooler and make more power than a 6.5

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Sacrilege Joey, go out and cut of thine fingers for pennance of typing foul words. Cummins in a GM
, actually an interesting idea, cause as many Dodge owners will admit when out of ear shot of others, they bought the engine not necessarily the truck.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Doc, I agree the only reason to buy a Dodge is the Cummins. But if I had time and money I would have one under the hood.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey how hard is it and how much do you have to change to get a cummins into a chevy. I love the cummins but hate the dodge so it would be great to finally get both. My chevy with reall balls under the hood. I've heard that there was a guy in tulsa oklahoma that did the swaps but can't find out who it is. I think someone was talking about using the turbo 400 with the cummins. Well any insight would be great.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is a shop in Billing Mt to converts to Cummings for about $15,000

·
Registered
195 Posts
There is a fellow not too far from me that has a '94 with a 24v. Cost is about $15,000 cdn.

here is a copy of his sig,, it makes me want to touch myself

1994 Chevy with 24V Cummins and a Dana 60 front axle.
Twin Turbo's
Drag Comp
BD XXX pulse injectors
BD gauges
Southbend Clutch
5" pipe
439 HP thanks to BD-Power

If it aint broke yet, BOMB it till it is!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a magizne that talks about a guy that but a Deere 466 in a 86 Chevy 3500 for spraying. The engine was out of a 4440 but could problely be made to put out over 300.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts