Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dmaxalliTech,

I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe (2 door) with the 350 and factory 5 speed manual tranny. I was thinking about swapping in a 6.5 turbodiesel and was wondering what would be involved. Can the Tahoe chassis and suspension support the 6.5? Will the mounting points on the frame and block match up? Will it mate to my tranny? What else would be involved besides swapping the gas tank and, fuel lines and pumps? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if this is a feasible project.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I THINK IT SHOULD BE, IM FIXING TO DO THE SAME BUT WITH A 98 PICKUP. THE MOTOR MOUNTS AND TRANNY SHOULD HOOK RIGHT UP. THE MAIN PROB LOOKS TO ME LIKE THE WIRING HARNESS AND LIFT PUMP LOCATION. I HAVE A COMPLETE PICKUP IM GOING TO GET ALL OF MY DIESEL "GOODS" OFF OF. ARE YOU PUTING IN A PRE-94 MODEL OR 94-AND NEWER MODEL??

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Do you have a complete donor vehicle? I don't know if the diesels came with the 5 speed you have. I'd be leary of that light duty trans holding up to a diesel's torque. 2 dr Tahoes did come with diesels so it should be a matter of parts and a lot of labor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I don't have a donor vehicle or motor yet - I wanted to make sure it was feasible before I started looking. I'm also considering ordering a new motor and working with a dealership so that I'll have a warranty.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
IF YOU DONT HAVE A DONOR I SUGGEST CONVERTING TO THE 92-93 VERSION. THEY ARE ALOT LESS HEADACHE DUE TO LESS ELECTRONIC BS. IMHO THAT IS

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hey guys there is a duramax complete with all computors on e bay, he says it only has 2000 mi and is a 2002 mdl- thought you mite want to know looks its gonna go cheap

Geno

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
A 1995 book value is less than the cost of the conversion.If your current motor is done,then i would just replace it with another 350.Just my $00.02.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts