Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My D/A has 71,xxx miles on it. When should I start looking to change the shocks? What brand? How much can I expect to spend? Currently running Firestone 245/75R16's E range tires and am wanting to upgrade to probably 265's or 275's, what would be a recommended tire. I am currently looking at Cooper Discovers, what would be some other good recomendations.

Thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm amazed you still have the OEM shocks. I changed mine at 7.5K and noticed a huge difference in the ride. The OEM shocks are cr+p and that's being nice about it.

I have the Bilsteins and love them. A huge difference in the ride of the truck!!

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I do not like the compound Cooper uses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What made you go with Bilstein shocks, what makes them that much better? What did it cost you to upgrade? Did you install yourself?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hoot,

What is it that you don't like about the cooper's, too soft, too hard, don't wear well?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I changed to the Bilsteins based on word of mouth and my experience that the back end was very skittish on even small bumps. I installed them myself, and am very happy with them. As to what makes them better, they are a nitrogen pressurized gas shock that can easily go 100k or more on a set. As to cost, expect to spend about $275 plus shipping for 4 of them.

John

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree with John. My 3500 washboarded on a local road that is a known 18 wheeler killer. The Bilsteins make it a smooth ride. Don't get me wrong, it still rides like a truck, afterall it is a truck, but there is none of that repetative bounce and shake anymore.

Well worth the money, Yes, I installed them myself. A few wrenchs and a jack and your all set. Easy job 2 hours tops.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm currently running Michellin LTX MS 265/75R16 tires and Rancho RS9000 shocks. They make for a great combination for highway use. The shocks are adjustable for different loads and the tires handle very well. These are definitely not off-road tires by any means, more of an all season design. I can't believe you are still using the stock "shocks", mine were gone at 25,000 miles.

Joe

·
Registered
217 Posts
I could not stand the skittishness at all...changed out my stock shocks at about 1,000 miles. Well worth the $$$$.

John

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I change mine to Bilsteins last weekend at 21K, and my old OEM shocks were shot. I like the firmness of the Bilsteins. Paid $65.00 per shock, free shipping.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got a little over 13k on my 2500 d/a and looking to change out the shocks, Has any one had any experience with the KYB shocks verses the bilstein shocks . It looks like they are built like a bilstein but a lot less money!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
mobowhunter said:
My D/A has 71,xxx miles on it. When should I start looking to change the shocks?
About 70K ago?

I installed Rancho 9000x's on my truck by 5K, because the OEM shocks were garbage. With the adjusters I can set it up however I need to at that moment, and I have done just that on a number of occasions. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Mobowhunter, I ran the dicoverers on 2 identical trucks, Both subject to extreme abuse and overloading.

When about 1/2 way through the treads my truck started to sometimes get this wobble, sometimes a bump would cause it or uneven road etc. I thought it was a bent rim but nope. Local mechanic shop who sold us the tires said nah its not the tires its this cheezy GM front end...replaced idler arms(WTF did that have to do with my complaint anyways??) So long story short fathers truck does same thing yada yada yada. Bring tires to get replaced. I guess eventually when these tires see normal abuse from my opinion the steel cords lost their strength and would actually cause the tire not be "circular", more egg shaped I guess. I went back with GY G133's. Heavy sidewall, more agressive tread. Never looked back

I did get good mileage out of them my truck got 25K out of em my fathers truck got 35K.

Wont buy another cooper tire again.

PS they squibble, squat, and are squirrley as hell with a heavy load

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
TheChevyHDMan said:
Mobowhunter, I ran the dicoverers on 2 identical trucks, Both subject to extreme abuse and overloading.

When about 1/2 way through the treads my truck started to sometimes get this wobble, sometimes a bump would cause it or uneven road etc. I thought it was a bent rim but nope. Local mechanic shop who sold us the tires said nah its not the tires its this cheezy GM front end...replaced idler arms(WTF did that have to do with my complaint anyways??) So long story short fathers truck does same thing yada yada yada. Bring tires to get replaced. I guess eventually when these tires see normal abuse from my opinion the steel cords lost their strength and would actually cause the tire not be "circular", more egg shaped I guess. I went back with GY G133's. Heavy sidewall, more agressive tread. Never looked back

I did get good mileage out of them my truck got 25K out of em my fathers truck got 35K.

Wont buy another cooper tire again.

PS they squibble, squat, and are squirrley as hell with a heavy load
Bill I'll second that. They don't wear well either.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you wanna hear noise......take a ride with me with the Goodyear G133s, Their almost identical to the rear tires that come on 3500HD's and F450-550.....Only difference is were running them all around our truck. Front and rear baby. I dont get much mileage out of em, But all I have to worry about with them is nails....Im telling ya...3-5 tons on back of my roll-off truck....tires arent hardly squatting. each tire literally weighs twice the weight of the coopers..opps I mean poopers

The tires hum keeps me awake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts