Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did read the big writeup in the DIY section yet am still left with many questions.

Okay, I'm a n00b to this forum (but not to many others like ls1tech, dfwstangs.net, etc) tho' I've been reading for a long time on here. I'll be ordering my D/A 2500HD GMC here early May if all goes well. So I have been thinking about a mild lift on the HD and have quite a few questions...

First...some info on what I'm looking for: I am going to get a set of Weld Stonecrusher wheels (18x8 or 18x10, 4.625" BS). Now if I run the 8" wheels I'd run a 285/60R18 (~33") but I'd like to run the 10" rims so I'd be with a 325/60R18 (~33") or a 325/65R18 (~35").

I'm not going to do any hardcore offroading by anymeans, I need to get a mild lift as I want to ideally run the 18x10s w/ 325/65R18 tires.

I believe that I will rub on the front and I'm prepared to trim the bumper and such also.

Now...how important is the increase in trackwidth on the front?

What about the 1 vs 2 piece subframe?

To clear those larger 325/65's will a 4" lift clear them?

If a 4" won't clear them, would I be stuck with a 6" setup? Also, what determines the front lift aside from the subframes....the T-Bar turning?

Thanks and sorry for all the q's!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Now...how important is the increase in trackwidth on the front?
Not that important IMO. The front is already wider from the factory and kits that do widen the track width end up kicking rocks all over the side of the truck.

Hit Man X said:
What about the 1 vs 2 piece subframe?
1 piece is stronger but either one will more than likely outlast any OEM part.

Hit Man X said:
To clear those larger 325/65's will a 4" lift clear them?

If a 4" won't clear them, would I be stuck with a 6" setup? Also, what determines the front lift aside from the subframes....the T-Bar turning?
A 4" w/ mild torsion bar tweaking lift will work just fine. At factory torsion bar settings the amount the lower control arms are dropped determines the lift height. From there you can adjust the torsion bars to gain a couple more inches if needed. Edited by: y2kboti

·
Registered
522 Posts
y2kboti is entirely correct, I just want to add a few things. Youu're definately going to want to go with the 10" wheels, and then if you're only looking for 33" tires, 4" lift will sufice. As soon as you want to go with 35" tires, you'll need to lift the front some more either the T bars or going with a 6" lift will do that for you.

I personally added spacers to the rear to make track width the same, however is not a requirement. I'll recommend to you to go with the 6" lift right off the bat simply because once you've got a lifted truck, 4" just isn't high enough! Good luck and show us some pics once you're done!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think from posting and reading in the initial thread I posted in over in that section, a CST 6" is going to be my best bet. It will clear the 35" tires with no problem and is built very well.

At least I know the setup I want...now comes the part of gathering the funds.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will have pics of my 03 CC SB 2500HD with a 6" RCD lift and 18x10 weld velociti 8 xt tomorrow
. I should have had pics today, but weld had a SMALL ERROR IN THERE COMPUTER
, and now I have to pay 150 overnight shipping charge so the truck can be ready to go up to beach bend for the big shoot out. I freakin order the wheels last wednesday and they said the wheel will take 5-6 bus. days. well, it been 6 bus. days today and I call to see where the wheels where at and they told me that there still sitting at the store, and that they had a small error in the computer and just figured it out today. I smell, BULLSH*T
. but now I have to pay an extra 150 for overnight shipping for there mistakes. cause the truck is in the shop and they have already lifted the back of the truck cause I told them my wheels will be here today. and they can't lift the front till the wheel are here because the RCD kit has a 2" larger spindle and the factory wheels will not work in the front. and this would hold up one of there bays till the wheels get there.

here is a pic of the back of the truck with the factory wheels and tires

Before:

After:

-Chad-Edited by: allstok03Dmax

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice! Please post them here in this thread or at least link me!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Chad that sucks, I know how hard it is to wait, Im still waiting for a truck. Im anxious to see how it looks. Good Luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I swear, if my wheels don't come tomorrow. I'm gonna cut someone

I'm so angery right now. I just wanna scream. I fill like i'm being punished. lets just hope for the sake of weld wheels that they come in tomorrow.

-Chad-

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
allstok03Dmax said:

I'm so angery right now. I just wanna scream. I fill like i'm being punished. lets just hope for the sake of weld wheels that they come in tomorrow.

-Chad-

What wheels did you order? I really like the StoneCrushers from Weld...those are what I plan to run.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought the 18x10 Velociti 8 XT. I wanted the 9.50 but the are on national back order and will not be avalible for about another 2 or there months. I like the stone crushers to. those are pretty nice.

-Chad-

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
allstok03Dmax said:

-Chad-

Weld is about the worst company when it comes too shipping things out. They do not care once they get the money, I had the same problem and it took more then two weeks. I did go to my CC company and get my next day delivery money back. Which was almost $250 for the four wheels.

·
Registered
163 Posts
hdmax said:
allstok03Dmax said:

-Chad-

Weld is about the worst company when it comes too shipping things out. They do not care once they get the money, I had the same problem and it took more then two weeks. I did go to my CC company and get my next day delivery money back. Which was almost $250 for the four wheels.

well I can top that, Brian at weld called me this morning. the credit card number that was give for the wheels is invalid. Know considering the credit card is a company credit card. ((I bought the wheels and tire at goodyear)). My wheels will not be her to 10:30 tomorrow. which means

A: don't bring the truck to the shoot out at beach bend which pretty much defeats the purpose of coming, because It's diesel truck shoot out and that the only freakin diesel truck I have.

Or

B: Wait till 10:30 for the wheels to show up. have the wheels put on the tires and then mount them on the truck and maybe make it there by like 1:00 in the afternoon.

So, I just don't know. I'm so pissed off that I don't even know if I'm gonna come at all. this crap sucks really bad. Weld waited till the last minute, over 7 damn days, to process the order to tell me that they ask for the wrong security code on the credit card. I'm just to the point know that I just want my wheels. I'm not even mad anymore. Weld make an incredible wheel, but there order processing and shipping is about par with something that you would expect from Mcdonald's drive thru. And the Mcdonalds by my house gets my order right 1 out of 10 times. thanks for listenin to me b*tch.

-Chad-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts