Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Was wondering I have been getting quotes on suspension lifts. I seem to find a trend with whoever the shop uses the most. Is what they say is the best. For instance. 4Wheelparts says that the procomp suspension lift "6(Mind you this is for a 2wd 2500hd dura with ally tranny) is what they say is the best lift. I have talked to a few other shops one says RCD 6" and another 2 shops swear by CST 6-8". I am so damn confuesd. So I am callin out to anyone who has had their system installed. Or even maybe a installer who has dealt with system repairs. I want to get the best system i can get but while staying under a 6K budget. Any and all comments are appreciated. Once again i have an '06 2500HD dura with the Ally tranny and I would like to run 35' Toyo Mt's Mounted on 20" wheels. So I know I need the 6 inch lift. I just want the least amount of wear and tear. Thanks again.

So in short the question i want to know: RCD 6", CST 6-8", Procomp 6", Fabtech 6".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cognito 7-9" , you get the best of both worlds. 1. Full 7" diff drop=good cv angles and 2. 7" steering knuckles=UCA stays in stock location.

Have heard nothing but good things about this lift, I don't have one myself but plan on it in the future.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Cognito is the way to go. I have the 10-12 kit and its one tuff kit. If I had to pick another kit, it would be CST..I had an 8" kit on my last HD..Good luck!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've personnaly run the RCD on two trucks and run the CST 6-8" on my current truck. The RCD is a good lighter duty kit, the CST and Cognito are heavier duty. I went with the CST because of the strength and the readily available parts. Stay away from 4 wheel parts and fabtech, customer support sucks.

Good luck,

Chris

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
No problems with my lift and 4WheelParts store. Just depends who is in charge at a certain shop. Not all are bad.

Anyway, I am running ProComp lift. Not 1 problem for over 2 yrs now. Here is what my truck looks like:

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you only want to go 6" I suggest Pro Comp, reasonable price, very strong.

Full 6" differential drop so you keep stock CV angles. You keep the stock track width, so no spacers on the CV joints. Those look scary to me.

I offroad mine no problems with the lift. I did change the upper control arms to avoid the ball joints from popping out.

If you want to go higher then I would probably go with CST or Cognito. Even though Cognito customer service sucked for me. Censored

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I did a ton of research on lifts before having mine installed. I went with Superlift.

Pros: Bilstien shocks. Stock track width - it helps keep all of the crud from wasting the side of the truck. Stock CV angles. Did I mention the Bilstien shocks.

Cons so far: The centerlink bracket contacts the frame before I get to full lock left or right. There is only maybe a 1/2" left but the stock turning radius sucks on these trucks so taking any away is only make a bad situation worse. Some have mentioned the number of bolts that are used with the Superlift and the concern about the whole thing loosening up. I PM several users here and on ChevyTruckWorld.com and there postive comments helped me look past this potential problem.

I didn't have to cut any of the front air dam for clearance yet either... but, I haven't had it in anything to radical yet. We shall see. The motor is awesome. Definately the most powerful pickup I have ever driven :) One thing that did surprise me was how tall the truck ended up being. You have to climb into it. Oh well, it looks like a truck now. The dinky wheels and tires GMC puts on their trucks is a joke!

Shameless show-off picture:

·
Registered
206 Posts
RCD fo me, with 20/10 Weld Rubicons (Velociti 8 knock -offs) see garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:) Thanks guys for all your input and suggestions. I went with CST 6-8". Going to get the Moto Metal 951's with the Toyo 35x12.50x20. Lots of good help. I might have gone with the cognito. But i don't think I will be able to go any bigger than the 37's. Thanks again for the helpful responses. Oh by the way it got dropped off thursday and will be done on friday for the weekend. =)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Let's see some pics when it is done!

·
Registered
259 Posts
dont do skyjacker! increased front track width alot. (spelling) id do a cst 9-12 inch. i want to buy one soon but there a bit pricey. fabtech is nice to.

josh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally. Sorry so long to post Images. Here is the photo's of the truck completed. This is the 6" CST lift with 20x35 Toyo Open Country MT's. Also added the Kenwood system with monitors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice! :ro)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Looks GREAT!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Does money grow on trees at your house? Just kidding, it looks great and I am really jealous of your new dvd screens. They look great in their. I will be getting my first list ever on a truck installed Monday!. 6" Rancho with 20's and BFG's. If anyone has anything bad to say about the lift keep it too yourself. This site makes me second guess everything I do!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Does money grow on trees at your house? Just kidding, it looks great and I am really jealous of your new dvd screens. They look great in their. I will be getting my first list ever on a truck installed Monday!. 6" Rancho with 20's and BFG's. If anyone has anything bad to say about the lift keep it too yourself. This site makes me second guess everything I do!!!!!!!!:)
Is a six inch lift new to RANCHO? They used to offer up to 4" only. Not that it matters to me I have 2 with rcd, I would hate for you to buy something that you are not getting

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, I think it is adjustable to 6" but I actually only want 4 inches. They aren't going to tighten the torshion bars and they are only going to put a 21/2 inch block in the back which will keep it level. My dad goes to the dunes with my little family and he is 70 years old and he isn't to happy I am lifting it at all so I had to make a compromise. I went into the place to just get rims and tires and after I said to go for it I know it wasn't wat I really wanted so I just told him to go for it. The owner of the place has the same thing on his truck and he is a family friend so I know he would sell me something I wouldn't like or pay too much for. It won't be as high as the truck in this thread.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dieselbos,

Nice truck! I'd love to get that same look with my '05 SRW D/A. I have a few questions, though:

(1) Did you notice any difference in acceleration with the heavier wheels/tires?

(2) Did you notice any difference in braking distance (due to the added wheel/tire weight)?

(3) Did you notice any difference in the general way in which it handles (esp if towing) compared to stock since it is higher from the ground. (I guess the steering feel is what I'm getting at here.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dieselbos,

Nice truck! I'd love to get that same look with my '05 SRW D/A. I have a few questions, though:

(1) Did you notice any difference in acceleration with the heavier wheels/tires? Seems to be a tad slower but nothing too noticeable as of yet

(2) Did you notice any difference in braking distance (due to the added wheel/tire weight)? Like above not too considerable

(3) Did you notice any difference in the general way in which it handles (esp if towing) compared to stock since it is higher from the ground. (I guess the steering feel is what I'm getting at here.) Handleing seems a bit smoother since the stock steering was stiffer. I guess I am talkin about ride quality. I havent really got into any towing yet. But i am due to make a trip with my 23" Superlight WW in a week or two. I will post some info when i get back.

Thanks in advance for your help.
No Problem Hope I have better info for you soon.

And thanks guys for the comments. Oh and No! I don't have a money tree. I just spent Tax money a lil early..:muahaha:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts