Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A man stepped out into the street and to avoid him I wound up hitting a curb with my left tire. I was going about 20 mph and the shape of the curb was such that I hit it dead on.

The left side of my truck immediately sagged about 1.5-2". I put in my Hill 4WD torsion bar keys (they have a lot of lift) and was able to get the truck to proper ride height with the right torsion bar all the way down and the left bar almost all the way up.

I have also replaced the left torsion bar, but it made no difference in adjustment, no matter where I tried to index the bar. It's like my left side t-bar adjuster is about half a hex off.

Since I now have each side of the truck at the same height, it drives well--no pulling one way or the other and the steering wheel is centered. There is no apparent damage anywhere on the truck. The upper ball joint looks fine and is not loose, and the A-arms look fine. The frame does not appear bent. The aft portion of the torsion bars are centered in the crossmember and at the same relative height. The torsion bar cross member mounts on the frame are not bent. The t-bar recepticle in the lower a-arm looks fine. The tie rod is fine as is the sway bar.

So what else should I check? What would make my truck instantly sag 1.5-2" when it was perfect before hitting the curb??????????

Blaine

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the problem. The torsion bar had twisted in side the T-bar relocater and damaged the relocater.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Realize the t-bar relocator I'm talking about is an aftermarket unit designed to get the t-bars back up into the frame on trcuks with lift kits.

The company that sold me the relocators is sending me a new pair. When you consider the impact of a Dmax with a 200 lb bumper hitting a 7" curb head on at 20 mph, and the fact there was no damage to the racho lift or the factory suspension, it just helps confirm how stout the HD IFS is.

These t-bar relocators work so well in keeping the t-bars up out of harm's way makes it woth the fuss of me perhaps geiing a bad one. Then again, I did put a lot of stress on the left side one........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.