Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I just bought a 2002 GMC 2500HD with the duramax. It has 51,000 miles.

I drove it 1000 miles to my home state. I had an exhaust shop put on 4" exhaust with a turbo pipe. the next day, I noticed a surge/pulse while at stop signs and stop lights. It chugs like it wants to go. The tach indicates the same idel speed that I always noticed. It didn't do any of that when I dorve the 1000 miles home.

Also, I seem to smell more diesel, more like raw fuel rather than exhaust. I asked the guy at the exhaust shop and they said they didn't mess with anything other than putting the exhaust on.

Could something have come loose or disconnected?

any suggestions?

thanksEdited by: daveo

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Well it's under warranty for 5 years and 100,000 miles.

Usually when you smell raw diesel... it is raw diesel.
Check your oil and make sure it's not contaminated with diesel fuel. If you cannot read the dipstick check again. If your crankcase is overfilled with a mixture of fuel and oil, you cannot read it. Ask Gradyghost. Look under your truck for wetness.

I would take it in and have it serviced. The idle surge could be related to a faulty fuel pressure regulator. that regulator is integral to the high pressure pump. They replace the entire pump if it's the cause.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
hoot said:
Well it's under warranty for 5 years and 100,000 miles.

The idle surge could be related to a faulty fuel pressure regulator. that regulator is integral to the high pressure pump. They replace the entire pump if it's the cause.

Mike, they have released the regulator for seperate service at this time. Complete pump replacement is no longer nec.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Eric, how much time and cost is the fuel pressure regulator, as mine is sticking on my truck. Its kinda neat though, If i put the truck on high idle (800 setting) turn the Duramaximizer all the way on, the truck will romp at a constant pace, just like heavy bombed dodges to, the whole truck shakes back and forth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts