Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have one and love it. Install was easy. Instuctions are very detailed. They thought of everything. All parts are included and lots of photos. I have installed two already. I didnt even need the instructions for the second one. Just make sure you empty the old tank before you try and remove it. Also have atleast 10 gallons of fuel to pour into the new tank, to get you to the gas station. Fuel gauge is still accurate. When the empty light comes on, there are still 10 gallons left in the tank.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Flduramax, any opinions about removing the fuel cooler?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Max Owner said:
Flduramax, any opinions about removing the fuel cooler?

Factory cooler is no longer removed. Prior to that, a replacement cooler, a finned "tube" was included in the kit to replace the OEM cooler. It worked great from what I am told.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hey TTLS. Thanx for the info. I too, am looking into a tank. Somewhere else on this site it was said that Supertanks is coming out with a slightly smaller tank, without removing the cooler.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I took the plunge on Tuesday. After a lot of time and effort, I finally got my 32 gallon factory fuel tank replaced with a 75 gallon Supertank. Wow, it's really big !

My impressions are:
1). Very robust and well constructed -- much thicker plastic than the factory tank. Better skid plate too.
2). Did I mention really big ?
3). Replacement fuel cooler also seems solid. I would guess that it offers better cooling than the factory cooler.
4). Does not hang down much below running boards.
5). Install took a good mechanic 4.5 hours. Said that it was harder than they expected to install.
6). Need to add at least 10 gallons to prime new tank -- mechanic ran out of fuel with a couple of gallons due to sloshing over the large surface area of the tank bottom.

Filled it with 75 gallons of fresh diesel. Drove 200 miles. Needle did not move. I wish they were standard.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Diesel Dad, thats good to know. Thanx.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They make two versions. For use with the factory cooler, the cutaway between front and back is larger and the tank holds 5 gal. less. For the extended cab shortbed they're 58 and 53 gallons. I just put the 53 gallon on mine. These tanks are really beautifully made. They also make the Rapid Hitch for towing. A billet aluminum towing hitch with reversible ball, and it's a polished work of art......almost too pretty to use.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have a shortbed, I'd make a trip to the CAT scales before adding more fuel to the truck.

My 2500HD was overweight without an extra 30 gallons of fuel. But now that I have a 3500, bring on the diesel ...

My father-in-law spoke to some OTR truckers who said that they only carry 200 litres / 50 gallons because they are carrying heavy loads and don't want to get nicked.

Just think, my little 3500 with more fuel than a semi.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Can someone who has one of these tell me what the actual usable capacity is? FWIW I am looking at the short bed crew cab model. Anyone out there using this tank currently that could give me some actual user insight?

I had a Transfer Flow on my last truck and although the company called it a 45 gal tank I would suck air at 36 gal due to the fuel sloshing over the large surface area. The tank was a work of art, very well constructed and fit perfectly but it would only hold 36 usable gallons. On top of that I always kept about a 2 gal cushion to keep from running out which meant I only used 34 gal on a regular basis. I contacted TF many times and they were unable to give me a solution. I tried everything to get more capacity and concluded it was the large surface area combined with the sloshing that was causing the problem. The tank simply had to have 10gal minimum in it to keep from sucking air.

I do not want to spend a $1000 on another tank just to find out I cannot use all the capacity of the tank. I understand some fuel must remain due to the design but I would like to know what I am really going to get as far as capacity before I buy. I can tell you if I knew my last TF tank was only going to get me an additonal 9 gal over factory I would have passed.

If you look at Supertank's web page they are implying with thier mileage calculations that 100% of the 62 gals are useable. I have sent them and email to get their response and will let you know what they have to say. I would like to hear from some acutal users to see what kind of results they are seeing.

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the 75 gal. on e and love it. The red low fuel light comes on with 10 gallons left in the tank. i am sure you could use a few more, but i would rather not take the chance.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the comment flduramax.

On my transferflow if the low fuel light came on it meant you had about 5 miles to find something!!! And you had better not hit the brakes too hard or accelerate to fast or it was over.....................

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chris, I just got done doing a 3600 mile run with mine. When the low fuel light came on, I'd hit the next station, usually with in 20-25 miles, and after letting the foam settle and a good top off, 50-52 gallons was the norm.

Never had a problem sucking air, but never let it get much past the low fuel light before refueling.

Hope this helps.

later, Al

·
Registered
220 Posts
The Original Diesel said:
Thanks for the comment flduramax.
On my transferflow if the low fuel light came on it meant you had about 5 miles to find something!!! And you had better not hit the brakes too hard or accelerate to fast or it was over.....................
Interesting. Wonder why they don't build them
with a sump that is lower than the rest of the
tank and have the fuel pickup in the sump?
The rest of the tank should have a gentle
slope down into the sump, then almost all of the
fuel capacity would be "useable".

thanks for any insight,

T.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for all the replys. I am going to order my Supertank next week. The new LLY tank is 57 gallons for the crew cab short bed. The factory cooler stays in place and according to Supertanks should have a usable capacity of aprox 50 gallons. This is fairly consistent with what others have said in this post. I will post pics and a review once I get it installed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
ordered mine yesterday

can't wait for our trip to colorado...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.