Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta friend interested in purchasing a new ride. He will be doing some light plowing and towing. Ford or chevy. What do you think?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I owned a 2000 F-250 superduty and now own 2003 2500HD. I like the Chevy lots more than the Ford. No problems with the Ford just a lot of little things make the Chevy better in my opinion. A friend works at the local Ford dealer and told me when i started looking for a new truck that some engine repairs require the cab to be removed from the frame to complete the repair. He stated that very few of the new Ford trucks that they have sold have made it without needing the cab removed. Give them a couple years to work out the problems and then look again at the fords if you want. I bet in a couple years a slightly new body style will show up that takes care of the cab removal problem. Don't think your buddy will be disappointed in the Chevy product.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I previously had a 2000 F-350 PSD,then traded for the 03 D-Max.Honestly both are great trucks.I didn't buy another Ford ,simply cause GM gave me a heck of a better deal.Also the new PSD was having alot of trouble at the time.I think they have got that somewhat better now.I pull 10-14k behind mine quite a bit in the warmer months,and the D-Max pulls and handles just as well as my Ford did.Probably would come down to what he prefers,and who has the better deal.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Plowing My Be A Problem With Chevy- Duramax, You Will Have To Check On The Model, Not All Can Plow! Crew-cab is no plowing

·
Registered
511 Posts
Actually, diesels are'nt really used for plowing due to the combination of engine weight and plow.

I think the Ford would actually be better with the solid front axle on the 4x4

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Lots of guys plowing with crew cab duramax's.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'd have to say that if he wants a gasser the Ford would be the way to go with the solid front axle up front, for plowing.. The Chevy gasser V8's suffer from piston slap, which can drive a guy crazy (thats why I'm driving a diesel now).

If he's buying a diesel I'd recommend the duramax over the new 6.0 powerstroke. I've heard way too many horror stories about the 6.0 powerstroke that it's not worth living with just to get the solid front axle.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I had two Strokers...loved them both! My '01 Ford was my baby, all I did to it was download the Hypertech, added some guages, and added the leveling kit(add-a-leaf) and drove. It had some service issues but what truck does not. Really no big deal, BUT the '03 Strokers scaired the crAAp out of me. The '04s with the new engines were not out when I had to get a new truck fast. So I looked at the GMCs....I love my GMC and the Duramax-Alison but at the same time I hate it...it is real love hate relationship. The thing I hate is all the extra money I had to spend to get it up to MY speed.....new tires, new shocks, fuel filter on order, after market diesel filler on order, installed high idle, and few other little things(about two thousand in total).

Ford had problems with injectors on the 03's the new '04s have two filters now(Oct,03 and later build date). Ford had a mojor problem and was PROACTIVE to fix it and not hide from it. The Duramax has injector problems also, but the difference is owners like myself have to take the PROACTIVE approach and try to prevent injector failures. Now I know what all the die hards are going to say. The Dmax never had the size problem Ford did, true. At the same time there are alot less Dmaxs on the road compaired to Strokers.

I also gave up a great relationship that I built with the parts/service guys. This to me is worth its weight in gold.

Your friend needs to look the trucks over...and look them over really good for his needs. GM trucks look great on the inside...they do have alot of bells and whistles. Ford is more of a basic truck without a doubt. It is really up to him, not me or anyone else.

Tell him good luck, HE WILL NEED IT.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think Ford has a tougher front end for plowing but needs new springs to keep a plow held up. People usually don't plow with diesels? What? Diesels are great for plowing! Low end toque and the don't rev up as easy as gasser, so you can keep your wheels on the ground! Personaly I think a Diesel is the best to plow with!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh ya and to answer your question of ford or chev. Does he want a utility truck or the cadilac of trucks. Most people opt for the cadilac(chevy)!

·
Registered
570 Posts
FWIW..... every1 I know with a SD that does any sort of wheeling or other work usually dumps that half ass front end... and goes with somthing that has a real sized axles.... I'd have to check to on whats stock and what they go with but i know is i've heard of quite a few broken axles.... the axle size isn't up to the challenge of the weight of that truck.... get the thing in a bid in 4x and bam.... broken axle or u-joint. Edited by: QuikSSilver

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
RUMAXED said:
Max Power said:
Lots of guys plowing with crew cab duramax's.

Chevy Would Not Like That!

This is one of the things that drive me nuts. Heavy Duty is in the title so it should not matter what type cab it has. If the owner wants to add a plow they should be able to do so with having to rebuild the front end(having to again spend more money on a very expensive truck).

You can beef up the Fords springs if you want but you do have to. My nieghbor has the Boss blade on his Dodoge...it is a monster he did zip to front end. Actually never heard of anyone doing anything to their set up to add a blade...Ford or Dodge.

About the axel/u-joints not being strong enough on the Fords. Not saying it will not happen but I never heard of that problem. Really, if your out wheeling stock were you should be wheeling modified, things will brake if you use them wrong. Heavy off roading on a ANY STOCK truck is not good idea. Like our front axils are that much stronger with the hum/vibration I get in 4wd over 60mhp.
Edited by: NoWake200

1 - 13 of 13 Posts