Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 04 Duramax with a LB7 motor in it. I've been thinking about just getting a basic programmer. I do not have the money to spend on the Edge chip, although it is a very nice peice. I've got other stuff to spend money on.. see 422ci Camaro lol.

For the money.. what is the better unit honestly?? Also do I HAVE to have gauges or is it something that isn't really needed. Also can they all be flash back to completly stock so when I take the truck in for warranty work they cannot tell that it has been modded. I don't want to take it in to fix the problem its been having then they void my warranty.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Powell- We have gotten good reviews from the predator and SCMT as well. However, with the predator, you will get more power. The SCMT has settings of: 50hp, 70hp, 95hp. The Predator has: 40, 65, 85, 120.

Gauges are HIGHLY recommended when running any tuner/module. At the very least, you should get a pyrometer to monitor temps. Very cheap insurance. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about torque numbers. I also pull a trailer SOMETIMES.. What is the best setting on both tuners,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when I would be pulling the trailer. I'd probably keep the programmer normally at 90, unless it ssafe to use the 120 all the time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One last question. Can the Predator make the truck go back to completly stock tuning, where the dealer wouldnt be able to tell it was there?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Powell

Towing at them levels are unsafe ,EGT wise ...Gauges are a must ....

Yes all the Programmers with the exception of the TTS Powerloader will return to stock ...

Mac

·
Registered
262 Posts
I highly recommend that you search this forum and research what people are saying about each of the tuners you are looking at. There are alot of unhappy people out there.

I have and recommend the Quad. As you pointed out the Juice is popular as well. It pretty much goes downhill quick from there...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive read alot of good reviews about the Quad and Predator, but Both have lots of problem.. Looks like you can get screwed either way.. Ive got a Kentuck built truck so hopefully its a good one lol.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Powell said:
Ive read alot of good reviews about the Quad and Predator, but Both have lots of problem.. Looks like you can get screwed either way.. Ive got a Kentuck built truck so hopefully its a good one lol.

I would like to know what problems we have had? I don't believe anyone has been screwed with our tuner. Also we will kill them in the torque department.

Quad

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not saying it in a bad way. I have just read problems with both tuners.. Nothing bad. But people will sit here and dog the predator with their quads.. then they will post about their problems with the quad.. or vice versa...

Who sells the Quad?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Quad looks to be $100+ more then the Predator and SCMT.. But I've seen people talk about finding them for like $400 also..

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The Predator 85 HP tune really surprised me the last time I ran it on the dyno. Keep in mind, the dyno is only fullpower and has no bearing on transient pedal positions, but it really did well...

The SCMT wouldn't load for me so I await a replacement.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you just want to have a some extra power to play with for a cheap price you might want to look into the Hypertech programmer. I put one on my father in laws truck and he loves the performance. Its easy to change back to stock or a lower power level for towing. You can find them for less than $300. In my opinion its a real bargin.

If you want serious power and want to spend a little more get the Edge Juice or a programmer from Quad. I know Edge is great because thats what I have. From what I have read from forum feedback is that Quad's products are nice and he stands behind them. Plus it looks like he is pretty active on this forum and answers alot of questions.

Jesse

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have had the superchip and the juice. Juice is hands down better, but the superchip was pretty close to the juice in most of my towing/non-towing situations. Juice builds torque faster and is smoother. For someone on a budget, the superchip would be a great choice. FYI, I bought by superchip for $298 shipped second day air.

Edited by: cdhd2001

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Powell said:

How can you get screwed with the Stealth? The way I see it is, You can get screwed with the Predator, because A) it only has a 15 day return, and 2) it is married to the first truck that acceps the program.

The Stealth on the other hand can be sold to anyone that wants to use it on an LB7 Duramax engine.

I have both! I have not updated either one sense I purchased them. The Stealth is hands down the easiest to change settings, by far quicker to program, and even though I had a few difference of opinion with Quadzilla early on, He would not go away.

I would much rather give my busness to someone that is here to answer questions when they araise.

With the Predator you pretty much have to be a Ford guy for them to help. (Well atleast James) He came on the sean all gunghoe ready to take on the world. Now he is hard to find on any GM Diesel forum.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Kennedy said:
The Predator 85 HP tune really surprised me the last time I ran it on the dyno. Keep in mind, the dyno is only fullpower and has no bearing on transient pedal positions, but it really did well...

The SCMT wouldn't load for me so I await a replacement.

Last time I dyno'd a Predator tune I was less than impressed.........I have an older version.........real old.

Just use it as a VIN LOCKED scan tool.........now.

Maybe I can get an update from Predator...are the EGT's any cooler........can you shed some light for us on the numbers ??????

T
NY

·
Registered
958 Posts
Psst, I found a used Edge Juice on ebay for $300 a while back and bought it. You can too, you won't regret it.

Even if it's an older version, Edge will upgrade it to the newest version for free. Costs $50 extra however for the extra plumbing if you plan on using the Attitude controller.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts