Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a n/a 6.5 in my 95 hummer. (turbo wasnt available until 96). I'm trying to find a way to boost the power some. I've heard of some people supercharging the engine, but can't find any real details.

Has anyone here ever gone this route, or would I be better off trying to refit a turbo. (If I'm going to spring that kind of cash I may just go all the way to a duramax.)

Thanks

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Keith, now you've done it. Canadian Rigger is going to have to get one. Suppose he'll have two turbos pumping air into the blower.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Keith, now you've done it. Canadian Rigger is going to have to get one. Suppose he'll have two turbos pumping air into the blower.
Could you imagine the throttle response that a turbo'd supercharged 6.5 would have:cool2: . Pull hard down low and hang on when the boost hits.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Volvo used one on their 4 cylinder marine engine. Worked pretty well. Used the blower hooked to an AC clutch. Once the boat took off the blower clutch was deactivated and the turbo took over. Lots of response from Idle.

Another marine site
http://www.ststurbo.com/
A buddy has a charger sitting on his bench, trying to figure out how to mount it and plumb it on an LLY. Basically same thinking - go! from idle, let the turbo kick in up high. Don't see anyone playing with it; don't know if that's b/c it's impractical or just too complicated for someone to commercialize....

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I would think the blower would be somewhat bigger for the 6.5 and the AC clutch would need to be a little beefy. Should work. How would you fit it in? Tight as it is.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
VOLVO still uses the sequential supercharger turbo setup on there marine engines. They say it works very well, virtually smoke free and really cleaned up the emissions. But it is a bit complicated electronically though. You could use a setup like DETROIT DIESEL did where you had a big check valve basically to bypass the blower when boost would overcome the supercharger.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well a google search does turn up this page:
http://www.employees.org/~dbriddel/hummer/hummer.html

I was just wondering if anyone here might have done something like this. There is probably room for one under the hood although I was thinking more along the lines of a paxton type rather than the whipple.

Installing a 6.5 turbo would also involve lifting the truck an inch (2 or 3 inches to install a duramax, plus all the other things needed for that swap.)

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Was on my mind long before this post came up... good info for now.

Do i detect a slight bit of jelously here.... oop's my mistake.. its not jelously, its lack of funds... at least thats what i see, cause if we all had endless funds we'd be doing far more than playing with 6.5's.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
But you would loose that cool turbo whistle.

Anyone with an ounce of fab skills could adapt a paxton to a 6.5, and fab up some good flowing headers. That would really wake her up.

Tim

·
Registered
317 Posts
Using a centrifugal supercharger(Paxton, Vortech, ATI, etc.) on a diesel engine is likely not the best idea. Centrifugals need rpms to make boost. Basically it's the compresser side of a turbo, but driven by a belt. The impeller blades whip the air into the housing or "volute". The faster you spin it, the more boost it makes. What this means, is that you won't make peak boost until redline. Impeller speed is determined by engine rpm. You'll make little if any boost down low. You will be severely lacking low rpm power. Not good for a diesel.
A Roots style or positive displacement blower(Lysholm, Autorotor, Eaton, etc.) is much better suited to a diesel. It draws a fixed amount of air every revolution, no matter what rpm. It's basically an air compressor. This means you will see your peak boost right above idle. They generally give up a bit of high rpm power to a centrifugal, but it's not needed with a diesel anyway.
Generally, a properlly sized and set up turbo will make the low end power of a positive displacement blower, with the top end power of a centrifugal. The biggest advantage to a supercharger will be that it will not lag. Because it is driven directly by the engine, it does not rely on exhaust pressure to spin. It begins to make boost instantly.
From a cost and easyness stand point, you're probably best off converting to a turbo with factory parts. However, if your set on the blower, sell your Paxton get yourself a positive displacement blower. Centrifugals are fine for gassers, especially race cars, but you'll be very disappointed with it in your truck.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From a cost and easyness stand point, you're probably best off converting to a turbo with factory parts. However, if your set on the blower, sell your Paxton get yourself a positive displacement blower. Centrifugals are fine for gassers, especially race cars, but you'll be very disappointed with it in your truck.
Thats what I was wondering. I wasn't sure with the diesel wether it would be easier to go turbo or super. Normally I would think the extra plumbing would make the turbo a harder install to do. (I haven't purchased the paxton, I was just wondering if it would work - I guess not)

So the next question - what kind of can-o-worms would I be opening up to install the turbo?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Hey YK welcome to the site, take a few minutes to update your sig line per welcome note link in mine, and stroll by FAQs while at it what kind of truck you driving a 6.5 N/A or a 6.2 N/A.

On edit I see you are N/A 6.5 as mentioned back at the 1st post, this info needs to be in your signature

1 - 14 of 14 Posts