Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a converter, wanted to know which is better, they are about the same price. Just want to know which gets better results. Thanks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I hear a lot of people who love their suncoast converters and I don't ever remember anyone saying they love their ats converter. I am sure there are lots who do like their ats turbo, I just don't hear about it. Take it for what it is worth.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
SUNCOAST all the way i have not heard anything bad about them but have read problems with the ATS units

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, looking like the Suncoast.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I hope you are planning more than a converter.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Although I don't have the five star converter I have no quarrels with my current ATS converter.

With a converter you have to decide what you want to accomplish and what your primary driving will be.

Similar to driving in tow haul mode.Some don't mine the aggressiveness others cannot stand it.

It would be best to either get a drive in one or the other or talk to the manufacture direct explaining what you desire.

In Maine you better watch a real tight converter in the snow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if anyone is giving money away that I can have, thats all I can do. My torque converter is not in good shape, needs to be replaced and I don't want to go stock again.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Don't even waste your time with just a converter. Internals are weaker then the stock converter. Since you are that far anyway, at minimum do a transgo and change any burnt clutches.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Don't even waste your time with just a converter. Internals are weaker then the stock converter. Since you are that far anyway, at minimum do a transgo and change any burnt clutches.
Tony
The internals are pretty good after a Transgo and converter but not up to real big power. You are correct that clutches will be burnt so why not replace with high performance ones. It is a mistake to underbuild because of the corruption on this board. ( 30 thousand bad people )):h Me included.:eek: :D

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
We dyno tested Eric's Transgo equipped otherwise stock transmission/converter and it would not hold any more than a typical stock trans in a 4th gear pull. Eric's converter was a new OEM IIRC.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
That is correct, when locked in it would jump on the dyno around 370 hp? Anyways, a tech -2 snap shot showed tcc slip at that point. Trans was holding then, but converter wouldnt cut it and it was indeed a new OEM unit at that time.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
If your broke and dont want to spend big bucks there is no reason to go with a 5 disk converter. Look at a single disk if your not going big power.

I would personaly talk to Joe at suncoast and tell him your exact wants/needs and what you will do eventually and what your current power is and will be eventually and he will pick a converter for you.

I would be pissed to have chuks of burnt fried clutch material floating around my brand new converter though.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Suncoast 1057 "McRat" converter for me... I love it so far (but Im only comparing to my stock TC)

I could stall my stock TC noticbily higher tho. The 1057 wants to walk thru the brakes at 2000 RPM. I could easilly push my stock TC to 2350 or so...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
DURAtotheMAX so you like the higher stall speed of the stock one

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
mike L which converter has a stall close to stock

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
DURAtotheMAX so you like the higher stall speed of the stock one
I think he meant that he likes the quick coupling of the McRat better than stock. Most all high performance converters ( diesel ) have a lower stall. As far as SC, I would say their # 50 is the closest to stock.
mike

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
That is correct, when locked in it would jump on the dyno around 370 hp? Anyways, a tech -2 snap shot showed tcc slip at that point. Trans was holding then, but converter wouldnt cut it and it was indeed a new OEM unit at that time.
It was actually about 700 lb/ft of TQ and in the 2,000 RPM range.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ATS FIVESTAR ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!
:)
Fluid coupling is awesome, torque capacity to match anything you can dream up, and excellent warranty.
:exactly:

Reactions: Mr X
1 - 20 of 25 Posts